Re: Buss wire

Gary Chudzinski

I have a perimeter layout that is almost 120'.  I split the layout evenly into two 5 Amp power districts, connected the boosters in the middle of each district.  I twisted red and black 12 ga stranded wires (from Home Depot) per recommended, ran 18 ga. feeders every six feet and have a voltage drop of only a few tens, under load, at the extremes.  I found, however, I had to PROGRAM my desired maximum trip current on the RRCircuits circuit breaker as the jumper selections were not compatible with my desired tripping current.  I have had no power problems whatsoever!  As a precautionary measure, since this was a new layout, I installed snubbers (4 total) at the ends of each power district.  Allan and Mark have written much excellent guidance about DCC power installations!

Gary Chudzinski