Re: Buss wire

Carl

Hi Gang:

Heavy wire does help avoid excessive voltage drop. Voltage drop is a factor of current, not the starting voltage. So take a long run, at the end with NO load there should be almost no voltage drop. As you add loads the current will go up, and at an earlier point Light wire will start acting as a heater and will drop the voltage available at the end. Heavy wire no so much.

So at 12 volts we have fewer volts to give up that at 120v.

Since you have tons of 20 AWG wire, why not just make each track drop a home run to a common terminal strip? Every section of track can draw from its own drop, but the drops on each side. Plus fewer connections " in the field ".

If you go the extension cord route, check the trash this spring when home owners clip the ends off there cords trimming the bushes!

Carl.

On 3/27/2019 11:51 AM, PennsyNut wrote:
I didn't mean to start any arguments. I was only trying to understand. What I am in the beginning of doing is a shelf layout 24' long. That means a buss of ? 22'. I have a nice run of 25' of a cable that was blue insulation. Inside were/are 8 wires. Each from what I can tell by using a simple wire stripper is 20 AWG. All this is free, each wire is good stranded copper wire. I took 2 of the wires, twisted them together. Stripped them where needed for feeders, and connected the feeder to both wires. I know it looks like smaller than AWG`14, but in a chart, saw that 2 x 20 = 14. Now you say it's 4 x. Well, that I can do too. 22' of good copper wire that is a relatively new cable is what I have and it's free. I am only trying to be frugal and not have to purchase wire. I suppose if I wanted too, could just buy 14 AWG at H-D. But I am just trying to avoid spending money on wire. The cost of the PECO track is enough to hurt. I made my own roadbed instead of buying cork. I am trying to keep costs within my budget. I could have bought cheaper track, but felt that as long as the quality is there, to use it. I've seen wire installations that scare me. This is just a simple shelf with all these wires on top. The buss is along the front edge and will be hidden by fascia and scenery. I fail to understand what you mean by "problems in the future". Once all this wire is fastened in place, all connections soldered, what can happen? I once lived in a house that had wiring from the 1920's. As late as 1970, there was no problem. Other than not enough outlets. But the basic wiring was still conducting 120 volts with a lot of appliances. Yes, if A/C was added, there would be trouble. But that never happened. The only major trouble with that house was it had fuses. LOL Nowadays we use circuit breakers. And on a simple 24' shelf layout, a light bulb will suffice. Now tell me a circuit breaker is a necessity? Aren't there ways to do things inexpensively without sacrificing quality? Now don't take this as an argument. I'm simply trying to understand. I have 20 AWG in quantity. Hoping to keep it in a quality use. Copper is the best. So from what y'all are telling me is that I can use it. Just 4 instead of 2. That is doable and feasible and should provide the quality sufficient for my needs. OK??????
--
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC