Re: Buss wire

David Klemm

Morgan,

Sounds like you have Cat5/6 wiring. That is a great LocoNet cable and can also be used for the wire drops from the track to the buss. 

For the buss get 12 or 14 gauge wire. For that small amount it won’t cost much and will be better for you. 

David Klemm
Xs Max

From: w4dccqa@groups.io on behalf of PennsyNut <pennsynut@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:51
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Buss wire

I didn't mean to start any arguments. I was only trying to understand. What I am in the beginning of doing is a shelf layout 24' long. That means a buss of ? 22'. I have a nice run of 25' of a cable that was blue insulation. Inside were/are 8 wires. Each from what I can tell by using a simple wire stripper is 20 AWG. All this is free, each wire is good stranded copper wire. I took 2 of the wires, twisted them together. Stripped them where needed for feeders, and connected the feeder to both wires. I know it looks like smaller than AWG`14, but in a chart, saw that 2 x 20 = 14. Now you say it's 4 x. Well, that I can do too. 22' of good copper wire that is a relatively new cable is what I have and it's free. I am only trying to be frugal and not have to purchase wire. I suppose if I wanted too, could just buy 14 AWG at H-D. But I am just trying to avoid spending money on wire. The cost of the PECO track is enough to hurt. I made my own roadbed instead of buying cork. I am trying to keep costs within my budget. I could have bought cheaper track, but felt that as long as the quality is there, to use it. I've seen wire installations that scare me. This is just a simple shelf with all these wires on top. The buss is along the front edge and will be hidden by fascia and scenery. I fail to understand what you mean by "problems in the future". Once all this wire is fastened in place, all connections soldered, what can happen? I once lived in a house that had wiring from the 1920's. As late as 1970, there was no problem. Other than not enough outlets. But the basic wiring was still conducting 120 volts with a lot of appliances. Yes, if A/C was added, there would be trouble. But that never happened. The only major trouble with that house was it had fuses. LOL Nowadays we use circuit breakers. And on a simple 24' shelf layout, a light bulb will suffice. Now tell me a circuit breaker is a necessity? Aren't there ways to do things inexpensively without sacrificing quality? Now don't take this as an argument. I'm simply trying to understand. I have 20 AWG in quantity. Hoping to keep it in a quality use. Copper is the best. So from what y'all are telling me is that I can use it. Just 4 instead of 2. That is doable and feasible and should provide the quality sufficient for my needs. OK??????
--
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.