Re: Buss wire

David McBrayer

Morgan,
re doubling up wire.
If you parallel two no. 20 AWG conductors, the resulting combined cross-sectional area would be approximately the same as a no. 17 AWG conductor.
To get the approximate equivalent of a no. 14 AWG conductor you would need to parallel four no. 20 AWG conductors.  Paralleling conductors is fraught with long term reliability issues.  The issues can be managed but they are not the least expensive way to go.

I suggest you do a web search for “wire table” to see the bigger picture of how AWG wire sizes are related.  AWG numbers have no direct relationship to cross-sectional area, which does relate to current carrying rating.  See also “metric wire table” to see how they relate.

Yes, you can do it but be sure to notice how much hair you have (or don’t have 😉) when start troubleshooting some day down the road.

Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

On Mar 26, 2019, at 12:24, PennsyNut <pennsynut@...> wrote:

I am new to this group. Just have a simple question. If a buss wire "should" be AWG14. Would two AWG 20's twisted/soldered together be sufficient. All the stuff I see is so complicated and overwhelming to me that I don't understand wires. I note that two AWG 20 gauge wires are the same size as AWG 14. And when I test with a meter, see no voltage drop with the "double twisted soldered" wires. In fact, the DC voltage and amperage is the same when tested with loco on track. I hope I'm clear, and just want clarification on wire size.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC