Re: Powering Hinged Point Rails

rhemker

Swanny,

I have just finished laying my Atlas code 83 track and 15 Walthers (Shinohara?) code 83 turnouts. How does the electrical contact fail in these turnouts as I notice, they do have the jumpers built into the ties on the bottom of the turnout?

Do you have a diagram of your modification and can it be done on turnouts already laid?

I'm new to the forum and did reply on it but didn't see it so I'm contacting you via the email. Is this not acceptable?

Have a great day

Rick Hemker

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Swanny <john@...>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 9:37 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Powering Hinged Point Rails

Jerry, I have modified about 130 Walthers Code 83 DCC-friendly turnouts in the last 3 years.  Every turnout has a 24-ga. solid wire soldered from the web of the point rail to the web of the frog rail, across the rail joiner.  This is done to avoid the eventual failure of the electrical contact between the stock rail and the point.  The process includes burnishing both solder points on the rail with a small wire brush, coating both surfaces with flux, tinning both surfaces with solder, and similar preparation of the wire.  The final step is to connect the wire to the rails using a conical tipped iron that has been properly tinned.  Although this results in some stiffening of the point action, I have had no problem activating them with Tortoise devices.  Note that I use a heavier gage wire for activation than is supplied by Circuitorn, mostly due to my 11/16" plywood + 1/2" Homasote + cork base, but it also takes care of any stiffening of the point action.

I hope you find this information helpful.
John  

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.