Re: Wiring Peco Electrofrogs

John Cahill

There should be a very fine wire coming out from under the point to the left or right (depending on hand if point) to which you can solder a feed from one of the Tortoise auxiliary switches which are fed by the same busses as feed your track. The bit you may have missed is the two links beneath the point across the insulating plastic you can see from the top. These should have been cut or removed before fitting.
So my first suggestion is to lift the points and address both these issues. If this is totally impractical (!) then with a very fine disc in a Dremel, you could cut down through the point VERY CAREFULLY which will isolate the frog. Then with careful soldering a wire can be attached to the inside of the frog V and then fed back to the Tortoise switch as above. I have done it with old Electrofrogs made before DCC was common. If possible also wire the fixed blades of the points to their respective buses as this eliminates another DCC weakness in Pecorino points. I have always used Peco EF points on my own DC, DCC and several exhibition layouts and find them very reliable when installed correctly with particular attention to the wiring. Hope this helps!

John

On 22 Feb 2019, at 19:24, Jim Keating via Groups.Io <jim.keating@...> wrote:

All,
I have an issue with my Peco Electrofrog turnout with DCC.  It seems that I have may have failed to modify the turnout, and also have definitely failed to connect the frog to my tortoise switch machine for power routing prior to installation on the layout!  OUCH.  Modifying in place will be a pain but I can ultimately manage that :(
My question is, can I solder a wire to the frog and connect to the tortoise WITHOUT having to completely pull up the turnout and use the provided wire underneath?  Has anyone done this?
Currently, as the turnout is being thrown, I get a short.  Then, once the turnout has completed it's diversion, I can reset the short and visa versa.
Please advise.
Thanks, Jim