Re: Power for Z-Scale Decoders

Don Vollrath

I would certainly want to investigate further on what voltage is appropriate for Z scale locos before assuming that one can simply apply 12-14 volts from the typical N/HO DCC command station or booster. I've never seen a Z scale loco running on DCC track power. It's not necessarily the 'power' but potentially the repetitive Voltage peaks that do the damage. Find a manufacturer of DCC decoders that are used for Z scale and see what their ratings and limitations are. Yes, you can simply set the DCC 'throttle' to a lower speed step to reduce the average voltage and speed of the loco motor. But this does not reduce the peak voltage applied to the decoder from the track or to the motor by PWM from the normal 12-14 track voltage used for N or HO scales.