Re: Two Questions

Mark Cartwright

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 04:12 PM, jwg766 atx wrote:
Atlas SD-9, model #53508
John,

As I remember, the nomenclature is for a two part semi drop in decoder is TCS-CN
However...I do not believe it is still made today.
http://www.fiferhobby.com/tcs-train-control-systems-dcc-decoders/
=====
A few years ago, I came upon a distressed Altas SD-9 which was already equipped with such a decoder but came with one more decoder still in the package.
This became one of my favorite projects and ultimately one of my best runners.
====
I took it down to it's base parts, and then ran toothpaste through the geared trucks, running them back and forth on track, till I felt them loosening up, cleaning them with a water pic,
There was a high spot on the Worm Gear...Corrected.
But as I recall several other parts needed a bit of fine sanding and filing.  Once all the parts were a bit freer, and fitted > I oiled the worm gear assembly only, and reassembled.
====
The previous owner believed the shell had been melted but it turned out to be only the D&RG Decals. The shell broke down into three parts and were easily painted with a light spray of Rustoleum Camouflage Paint...I renumbered it 5350 in large numerals.
This became a primary tester for long runs on my DCC Main Layout.
====
Good Runner ? YES!
However, I happened to have a similar SD in Brass sitting near by. Just for a Look See, I placed the Brass shell over the Atlas Chassis
Wow!
It hunkered down, making even better contact with the track; without being overly weighted.
>>> Since that day, I have modified several Brass Shells to fit over more modern (5 pole) chassis locomotives both in N and HO Scale; while being converted to DCC.
===============================
As for your first question....
On Track Detection.
I am working on it....
Via three very different approaches.
This is one of them....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qUJcdL9Gko

Just showed up on eBay one day with a. Buy it Now for $300 and I pushed the button.
I also own Digitrax and ESU ECoS....
Wish me Luck
:)) Mark