Re: Rotary switch

Charles Brumbelow

On Friday, October 12, 2018, 8:52 AM, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

Hello Brett:

Here are some easy to make terminal strips that are also cheap:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Insulation-Displacement-Screw-Terminals/

I've wired a Lionel layout with these, track and turnout controls. Was easy to do and easy to correct.

Carl.

On 10/12/2018 1:12 AM, john wrote:
Brett,
First, you can look up old articles of Model Railroader on line. There are some amazing articles on all sorts of wiring and they have the staff to make very understandable drawings. Wiring for DCC has amazing resources but they are a little more detailed and the drawings while practical are a little more difficult.
OK, a rotary switch consists of a fiber (sometimes ceramic) disk with contacts around its edge, a wiper attached to a rod (axle), and mounting hardware. The disk and wiper are sometimes referred to as a deck, and a multi deck rotary has more than one deck mounted on the axle.
Something else you have to take into consideration is that your wiring has to be terminated. Barrier strips are the most common and fairly cheap but there are new connectors that are a tube with a clamp in the front and in the rear. They come in strips up to (I have seen) 20 connectors and they are easily to separate. More convenient but a little more expensive.
I am in Dayton, Ohio. Where are you located.

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:45 PM, Brett Johnson via Groups.Io <susanhubby01@...> wrote:

Thanks for responding, I should have mentioned that I am a beginner when it applies to wiring model railroads, I understood very little of what you said, what are decks, only thing I know for sure about DCC is two wires to the track, everything else I’m looking for books on wiring turnouts, slow motion tortoise switches, etc
Brett

On Oct 10, 2018, at 11:10 PM, john <john.p.dunn@...> wrote:

Switch machines are not high current so almost any rotary switch should work. It does need to be Brake before make so it doesn't activate two switches at once. If more than one turnout is going to operate at a position, you will need 2 decks, 3 turnouts require 3 decks.
If you are using slow machines, there are three ways to operate them:
(1) You can use a split transformer with a single common. Each power lead will power a switch in a different direction. Same as above, the maximum number of turnouts operated, decides the number of decks. (This is by far the cheapest way to operate a ladder.)
(2) Another way to do it is to operate relays to throw turnouts. you only need one deck but the paths are controlled by a diode matrix.
Either method is incredibly simple to operate one turn out, but becomes progressively more difficult with the addition of turnouts.
(3) You could operate them with a computer and there are programs available but IO devices get pricy.
Information on all three of the systems are available on the website.
Twin coil machines seem to work well with push buttons and center sprung toggle switches if you have a sufficient power supply to operate the maximum number of switches needed.
Oh, the rotary switches, check at your electronics surplus, new switches are pricy. Don't look for the exact number of positions you need, you don't have to use them all. Many relays allow extra positions to be blocked.
The most important decisions is going to be made at some point when something stops working, which system are you going to be able to fix.
Wow, it looks like I complicated your life.
jd

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:42 PM, Brett Johnson via Groups.Io <susanhubby01@...> wrote:

Hello,

Can someone recommend a rotary switch for a yard ladder in HO scale?
Thanks
Brett Johnson

--
Brett Johnson