Re: NCE grounding

Gary Chudzinski

Bob,

The whole issue of ground can be confusing.  If I recall correctly, and I would need to look to be sure, but I have two vintages of power transformers for my NCE command station and 5 Amp boosters.  The earlier version has an electrical ground wire and plug (3 wires); the newer version has only two power wires.  The third wire (usually green) is the wire you do * NOT * want to connect to any part of your NCE boxes.  I cut mine back to make it unusable.  Otherwise, common ground only your NCE boxes together.  It was simple for me to run a DCC common ground wire around my layout as I have three booster districts.  I don't think it makes any difference whether your command station and boosters are in the same box. Just ground your NCE boxes together; but * NOT * your transformer ground wire!  I think it was Mark Gurries that had a very good  commentary on this topic many months back.  I seem to recall his explanation of the difference between earth ground (the ground in our household wiring), often called common ground, and the common ground for your NCE system, as well as the risk/dangers of connecting the two together.  I hope I stated this correctly without any confusion.

Gary Chudzinski