Re: Dead track area dcc

Puckdropper

If you drop feeders at the end of each track, you can skip every other joint and wind up with feeders every 6' while still following the "one per piece of rail" rule. This gives you another advantage in that the bus only needs to be stripped once to solder on two feeders.

Being the peculiar lazy sort that I am, I just dropped feeders on either side of every rail joiner and attached them to the bus. More physical effort for less memory effort. It doesn't really take all that long to do the extra feeders.

Another trick: Leave the feeders above the layout until you're ready to wire them. Using 22-26 gauge wire, you can loop the wire into the hole but not pull it all the way down yet. After you wire it to the bus, give it a gentle pull and the feeder will pull into the hole. Your eyes are better at seeing feeders above the track than they are seeing them below!

Puckdropper

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 06:09 am, Brad Ketchen wrote:

Gary.. I'd actually suggest feeders at every 3 foot section of track. And
for turnouts..I have no problem with Micro Engineering turnouts...and I run
DCC/DC with a DPDT switch.

cheers,
Brad

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Gary Chudzinski <chudgr@...> wrote:

IMHO, I would never depend on rail joiners for electrical conductivity. I
solder power drops every six feet, in the middle of two three foot sections
of flex track soldered together using #18 solid wire (for Code 100 rail) on
the outside of the rails. Could also use rail joiners, however, if the
joint ever needs to be separated, it's a major unsoldering job! One has to
be particularly aware there is power to the turnout's short sections of
track exiting an isolated frog. I have yet to have any track power problems
using these procedures.

Gary Chudzinki