Re: Wiring a Helix for DCC

John Cahill

I see where Don is coming from and how that would work. I used plywood and it doesn’t move noticeably even with significant temperature changes.

Best Regards,
John

On 8 Jun 2018, at 13:28, Timothy Holmes <taholmes160@...> wrote:

Im listening to this discussion closely, as I am about to begin construction of a helix

TIM

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 7:57 AM Brian Eiland <railandsail@...> wrote:
One nail per helix turn sounds like far to little in a helix spiral? Did you perhaps mean one nail per 36" section of track?? .....Even that sounds questionable.
Brian

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:17 PM, Don Vollrath <donevol43@...> wrote:
Yes Brian. It is the roadbed that contracts and expands far more so than the metal rail. When the roadbed shrinks and there is no place like a gap at rail joints for the rail to slide into it can force a kink to occur. If you have neatly nailed down flextrack in multiple places the rials will kink and make wave-like curves between the nails. So in a multi-turn helix one might be better off soldering all rail joints but only securing the track with one nail per helix turn. Now you will not notice the change in roadbed dimension as the track, ties and all, will move ever so slightly.

Tim

San Luis and Rio Grande