Re: Hopefully starting new layout

Timothy Holmes

Good morning everyone -- is there a suitcase connector that will go from 10 gauge bus wire to 20 or 22 gauge riser -- im considering using solid core wire from ethernet cables as my risers --

on a related note, im assuming there will be more than one riser in a detection section, so how do I handle that with  BD-20 block detectors?  do all the wires have to go through the detector? one detector for each riser?

Thanks
TIM

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:34 PM george hohon3 hohon3@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Use the correctly sized suitcase connectors and your feeder wires will be connected forever, and without soldering in an upside down position.

LG

On Apr 28, 2018, at 8:04 AM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

I wish there was an automatic soldering gun. Underneath the table is a real challenge for us mature guys :)

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018, 10:12 AM 'Ron St.Laurent' r.stlaurent@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Hi Tim,

I am also a firm believer in soldered connections to the bus.  Be sure to stagger your connecting drops to the bus.  In other words do not allow your connections the possibility of shorting together.  Also I would highly recommend this kind of wire stripper https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=wire+stripper
This type is available from many suppliers.  This stripper actually "pushes" the insulation apart to allow your jumper to be soldered.  This is illustrated at minute 1:40 on this video How To Use The Automatic Wire Stripper
This will save you a ton of time.  Good luck.

Ron St.Laurent
Lansing Model Railroad Club

On Friday, April 27, 2018 10:30 AM, "Tim Holmes taholmes160@... [WiringForDCC]" <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

HI guys -- im hopefully starting a layout this weekend with a test module -- the layout will be made of 1x2 foot sections (for ease of handling) -- my thoughts are 10 or 12 gauge wire for the power bus, and ideally 20 or 22 gauge risers to the track -- every section to have a riser on it to ensure good connections.

I'll probably strip back sections of the bus, and solder the risers to it again to ensure good connectivity.

What else should I be doing -- I am planning to use NCE system, and I really want to get this right the FIRST time

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande
--
Tim