Re: Kato Switches and DCC

emrldsky

Hi Vincent,
I would not use single pole switches at all. While there may be a way to hook them up, it is too simple to foul things up.
With a DPDT switch, the DC + and - wires go to the , and the two wires to the turnout go to the two center contacts. The two ends are hooked together with a criss-cross, or X.
When you test, if the turnout goes the wrong way when you hit the switch, you can reverse the wires at the turnout, or at the center contacts of the switch. If it would be easier, you can buss all the + sides together, and all the - sides together from the DC supply. I run my DC supply at 14 volts. Since it is just a momentary connection, it provides enough energy to move the turnout quickly.
Although it is not too helpful, I can post pictures if you want.

Peace,
Mike G.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Mike, I have a question. Can I use single pole momentary and connect the check other turnout wire to the bus wire?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018, 7:07 PM Mike Gallagher azMikeG@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Hi  Vincent,
Just make sure that they are center off, momentary. Otherwise you will destroy the Kato coils.
The switches should not be very expensive. I have the miniature ones because of the size of my control panel. They were less than $2 each. I am guessing that they may not have increased very much.​ Simple to wire, just be careful soldering, because it is close quarters.

Peace,
Mike G.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Mike I agree that the decoders get complicated. I'm a simple man so the DPDT switches sound good to me. thanks again

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Affordable Roofing Contractors
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office
904-683-2914 fax
904-449-6339  mobile
www.bestaffordablecontractors.com

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Mike Gallagher azMikeG@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Hi Vincent,
As I have said in an earlier post, I use DPDT, momentary, center off switches on my Kato HO turnouts. The Kato turnouts are of a "Twin Coli" type, and it works fine.
You can also use DCC, but it gets more complex, and you have to be sure you have the correct interface boards, as ones used for Tortoise will ruin the Kato coils.​

As for why use one or the other, it is strictly a matter of choice and the reasons for and against degrade into a never ending discussion that no one ever comes out feeling good about. So, evaluate what you want to do, and how you intend to do it, then press on. Both approaches work. The fun and complexity of one over the other is in the eye of the beholder..

Peace,
Mike G.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:38 AM, 'John M Wallis' wallisjm@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Hi Vincent:

Yes, Kato switches (turnouts) can definitely be used with a DCC system. Throwing them manually is no issue.

The turnouts are solenoids that are operated by reversing polarity. Thus you would need a DPDP-Center off, spring operated toggle switch. It  must be spring operated so contact is made only as long ads you hold the toggle in the desired position. This must be brief as too long a current flow will burn out the solenoid.

The Kato proprietary switch is not required, but it is probably the safest for operating their turnouts.

You can also use DCC decoders to operate the turnout solenoids.

Regards,

John Wallis