Re: Kato Switches and DCC

John M Wallis

Hi Vincent:

Yes, Kato switches (turnouts) can definitely be used with a DCC system. Throwing them manually is no issue.

The turnouts are solenoids that are operated by reversing polarity. Thus you would need a DPDP-Center off, spring operated toggle switch. It  must be spring operated so contact is made only as long ads you hold the toggle in the desired position. This must be brief as too long a current flow will burn out the solenoid.

The Kato proprietary switch is not required, but it is probably the safest for operating their turnouts.

You can also use DCC decoders to operate the turnout solenoids.

Regards,

John Wallis