Re: Bachmann ez Trac switches

dvollrath@...

The wire powering the frog must somehow be powered through a polarity switch or other frog-juicer like mechanism to flip the polarity of the frog to be in concert with the throwbar. It must not be permanently connected to one rail or the other. You earlier success tells me that you did not have the frog wire connected to anything. that may work too. Be sure that all intended rail gaps are still open.

DonV

---In WiringForDCC@..., <vmarino2009@...> wrote :

thanks for your suggestion. does it matter what side the frog wire goes to?

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Affordable Roofing Contractors
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office
904-683-2914 fax
904-449-6339  mobile
www.bestaffordablecontractors.com

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 2:40 PM, john dunn john.p.dunn@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Check something on your switches, preferably a spare because in place won't work. Use a volt ohm meter or a continuity tester and see if the two rails at the frog are connected. If they are at least one end of a siding has to be insulated as the switch is powered by the rail the points are touching or if there are extra feeds on parallel tracks the rails will always be shorted.
If you find this to be your problem, you can gap the rail with a sharp new razor saw without removing track work. The gaps should be held open by gluing in a chip of thin plastic, I prefer bubble pack plastic.
With the gaps, you will need to put the frog feeds back in.
Good luck.
jd

On Monday, April 16, 2018 1:23 PM, "Charles Brumbelow mrb37211@... [WiringForDCC]" <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Was everything OK then suddenly the problem developed? Is the whole layout one big electrical system (no blocks) or can you isolate and test sections one by one? Have you added track work which incidentally created a wye or a reversing loop without wiring for that?

With no rolling stock at all on the track do you have shorts i..e. breaker breaking?

From pictures on eBay these switches all seem to have plastic frogs.... So I don’t understand your comment about frog wires.

How many switches are installed on your layout? How large is the layout?

Good luck

Charles

On Apr 15, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

All my switches are shorting. I've removed the frog wires from the bus line, still shorting. Any suggestions (besides replacing the whole layout)?