Re: Bachmann ez Trac switches

john

Check something on your switches, preferably a spare because in place won't work. Use a volt ohm meter or a continuity tester and see if the two rails at the frog are connected. If they are at least one end of a siding has to be insulated as the switch is powered by the rail the points are touching or if there are extra feeds on parallel tracks the rails will always be shorted.
If you find this to be your problem, you can gap the rail with a sharp new razor saw without removing track work. The gaps should be held open by gluing in a chip of thin plastic, I prefer bubble pack plastic.
With the gaps, you will need to put the frog feeds back in.
Good luck.
jd

On Monday, April 16, 2018 1:23 PM, "Charles Brumbelow mrb37211@... [WiringForDCC]" wrote:

Was everything OK then suddenly the problem developed? Is the whole layout one big electrical system (no blocks) or can you isolate and test sections one by one? Have you added track work which incidentally created a wye or a reversing loop without wiring for that?

With no rolling stock at all on the track do you have shorts i..e. breaker breaking?

From pictures on eBay these switches all seem to have plastic frogs.... So I don’t understand your comment about frog wires.

How many switches are installed on your layout? How large is the layout?

Good luck

Charles

On Apr 15, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

All my switches are shorting. I've removed the frog wires from the bus line, still shorting. Any suggestions (besides replacing the whole layout)?