Re: Converting a brass E-60 2-8-0 to DCC

Craig Zeni

On Feb 21, 2018, at 4:31 PM, nick79ostr@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Thank you for all the responses. I did stumble across this link which appears to be identical to mine.

https://brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/082378/HO-Brass-Model-Sun-Dancer-B-O-Baltimore-Ohio-2-8-0-E-60-Unpainted

The motor does appear to be a DC "can" type, but whether that is suitable for DCC, especially with a loco dating to 1987, has me wondering.

The rail picks split between loco and tender also had me asking the same question about crossing a block, especially my two reversing sections.

Any guidance on how to overcome that, if it is a concern, would be appreciated.

I would expect the can motor to be just fine for DCC provided the mechanism is running well without binds etc. I like to test my questionable/unknown models for amp draw with a DC power pack and amp meter. I do check full load/locked mechanism amps just in case something goes mechanically haywire and the mechanism locks up on me...I had that happen when a worm seized in a bearing.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC