Re: DCC-Friendly Walthers/Shinohara Turnouts

vincent marino

Dante I haven't gotten to the frogs yet. I'm still wiring the layout. See
the enclosed schematic and correct any problems you see.

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Affordable Roofing Contractors
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office
904-683-2914 fax
904-449-6339 mobile
www.bestaffordablecontractors.com

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the
message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message
in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:32 AM, Annette and Dante Fuligni
dfuligni2144@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...>
wrote:

Relax! I have a Walthers/Shinohara 3-way on my layout controlled by basic,
non-powered Caboose controls. All frogs are, of course, isolated. It has
bottom-of-rail connections between powered rails and the unpowered rails
branching off the frogs (true of all DCC-friendly W/S turnouts). Therefore,
power-routing is not an issue.

That being said, there are a couple of possible problems that depend on
your motive power:

• First, there is a small section of rail between the 2 smallest frogs.
Some motive power might short on this piece of rail. The typical solution,
I believe, is to coat this short section with nail polish or equal.

• Second, again depending on your motive power, some equipment might lose
power over the isolated frogs. This can be resolved in the usual ways:
keep-alive decoders in the motive power or frog-powering controls or
Frog-Juicers. I added Frog-Juicers: one to power the largest frog and one
to power the 2 smallest frogs (one juicer can serve 2 frogs in this case
because there will never be 2 different pieces of motive power traversing
those 2 frogs the same time).

Remember, your particular motive power might not trigger either of the
above issues.

Dante F