Re: new dcc HO layout

Edward Sargent

The Pro Cab R has no booster (I have 3 of them), when you got it did it come with a separate black box  Power Pro (has 5 amp booster) or Power House (no booster)? If neither you have probably have no command station.

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 4:43 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Re: new dcc HO layout

Ed thanks for your input. Yes the pro cab r model has  5amps of power. I now understand the wiring between the pro cab r  and pb5 booster. They are to be kept separate into two separate booster sections. Each booster section will have 3 power sections assigned to them. Yes I'm learning it is an overkill but I would rather have too much than not enough amps to have the option of running as many locos, lights, accessory decoders as possible on my little layout. I appreciate all your input it has helped immensely.

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Affordable Roofing Contractors

Project Manager
904-260-7663 office

904-683-2914 fax
904-449-6339  mobile
www.bestaffordablecontractors.com

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 1:05 AM, 'Ed Sargent' ed_sargent@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Unless the command station has terminals for track power it is not 5 amps, what model do you have. Unless you got the starter set the command station does not power the track. The output of the PB5 is 5 Amp to the track, any other additional booster the tracks must be isolated from those powered by the PB5.

Blair is correct 10 locos at once on a 5’ X 12’ is not practical

I have not been following the entire discussion but our club layout is currently 24’ x 8’ with 3 loops and three sidings, there are 3 power districts a one booster. We have run 6 engines at once never drawing more than 2 amps. The situation with 9 locos I mentioned was at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum where we run as many a 17 4 or 5 engine trains on NCE boosters (20 scale miles of mainline) .

The bonding is simple a case ground wire between the two..

I have not been following the entire discussion but our club layout is currently 24’ x 8’ with 3 loops and three sidings, there are 3 power districts and one booster. We have run 6 engines at once never drawing more than 2 amps. The situation with 9 locos I mentioned was at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum where we run as many a 17 4 or 5 engine trains on NCE boosters.

On 2018-01-06 16:34, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Don thanks for the advice. Yes I purchased the PH-PRO-R it comes with the command station integrated with a 5 amp power station, UTP panel and cables. Additionally, I purchase a separate power supply for the pro cab.  I also purchased a separate PB-5 amp booster that will give me a total 10 amps so I can run up to 10 loco.

The wiring of the pro cab and pb5 is my next challenge. I'm thinking they can both go into a wire terminal that separates into power sections. Or does the pro cab power station daisy chain into the pb5 then to the wire terminal?  That's what I need to find out..

I'm going to take your advice and leave the circuit breakers off for the time being.  I purchased a buzzer that I will use when installing the track. I understand it will buzz if I install a feeder wire wrong..

I am so new to DCC but very excited about the challenges and rewards. I appreciate your input.