Re: new dcc HO layout

Edward Sargent

The Pro Cab R has no booster (I have 3 of them), when you got it did it come with a separate black box  Power Pro (has 5 amp booster) or Power House (no booster)? If neither you have probably have no command station.

Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 4:43 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Re: new dcc HO layout

Ed thanks for your input. Yes the pro cab r model has  5amps of power. I now understand the wiring between the pro cab r  and pb5 booster. They are to be kept separate into two separate booster sections. Each booster section will have 3 power sections assigned to them. Yes I'm learning it is an overkill but I would rather have too much than not enough amps to have the option of running as many locos, lights, accessory decoders as possible on my little layout. I appreciate all your input it has helped immensely.    

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Affordable Roofing Contractors

Project Manager
904-260-7663 office

904-683-2914 fax
904-449-6339  mobile
www.bestaffordablecontractors.com 

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 1:05 AM, 'Ed Sargent' ed_sargent@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Unless the command station has terminals for track power it is not 5 amps, what model do you have. Unless you got the starter set the command station does not power the track. The output of the PB5 is 5 Amp to the track, any other additional booster the tracks must be isolated from those powered by the PB5.

Blair is correct 10 locos at once on a 5’ X 12’ is not practical  

I have not been following the entire discussion but our club layout is currently 24’ x 8’ with 3 loops and three sidings, there are 3 power districts a one booster. We have run 6 engines at once never drawing more than 2 amps. The situation with 9 locos I mentioned was at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum where we run as many a 17 4 or 5 engine trains on NCE boosters (20 scale miles of mainline) .

The bonding is simple a case ground wire between the two..

I have not been following the entire discussion but our club layout is currently 24’ x 8’ with 3 loops and three sidings, there are 3 power districts and one booster. We have run 6 engines at once never drawing more than 2 amps. The situation with 9 locos I mentioned was at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum where we run as many a 17 4 or 5 engine trains on NCE boosters.

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 12:34 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...

Hi Ed,

the pro cab r has a 5amp control station and the pb5 power booster is also 5amps. Doesn't that provide a total of 10 amps or am I missing something?  Yes I want the capacity to run >10 loco without a power deficiency. 

What exactly do you mean "Also the cases of the boosters need to be bonded together."?

thanks

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino

Project Manager
904-260-7663 office

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 2:22 PM, 'Ed Sargent' ed_sargent@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

If I’m following this correctly but if you separate the layout into power districts 5 amps are plenty unless you plan on having 10 engine consists. I have seen 9 engine consists pulling 140 cars using PB5s.. Also unless I’m miss understanding 2 boosters don’t give you 10 amps. Also the cases of the boosters need to be bonded together.

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:33 AM
To:
WiringForDCC@...

Vincent

I'm not an NCE user, but here goes.  If you have two devices, each of which can provide 5 Amps to power your trains, you may not merge the DCS and DB booster outputs before splitting off to the various blocks.   You'll damage the booster or the command station, or both.  They need to be kept completely separate all the way to the rails; this is the same whether you're using NCE, or Digitrax.  It's the same as having two power amplifiers for your stereo - you can't just tie the outputs together and get twice as much wattage. 

As for the buzzer, what powers it?  Again, you should get in the habit of not wiring any energized item to your rails, so if you're going to use a buzzer to monitor for shorts, make sure you disconnect the DB/DCS before you start wiring..
Regards
Blair Smith

On 2018-01-06 16:34, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Don thanks for the advice. Yes I purchased the PH-PRO-R it comes with the command station integrated with a 5 amp power station, UTP panel and cables. Additionally, I purchase a separate power supply for the pro cab.  I also purchased a separate PB-5 amp booster that will give me a total 10 amps so I can run up to 10 loco.

The wiring of the pro cab and pb5 is my next challenge. I'm thinking they can both go into a wire terminal that separates into power sections. Or does the pro cab power station daisy chain into the pb5 then to the wire terminal?  That's what I need to find out.. 

I'm going to take your advice and leave the circuit breakers off for the time being.  I purchased a buzzer that I will use when installing the track. I understand it will buzz if I install a feeder wire wrong..  

I am so new to DCC but very excited about the challenges and rewards. I appreciate your input.  

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino

Project Manager
904-260-7663 office

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.