Re: Wireless DCC tether between steam engine and tender

whmvd

Hi Gary,

There's a rather nifty way to do that. First you do the initial set-up separately. Before you make their address the same, consider if you're going to go for long or short addresses. If long, then take care that the SHORT addresses of the two decoders are different. If short, make sure that the LONG addresses are different. Then set them both to the same long or short address that you actually want to use.

Now, if you want to change CVs in one but not the other, set the combination on the program track and change ONLY the addressing from short to long or the other way round (depending on your choices). Take it off the programming track and put it on the main. Now each of the decoders can be programmed on the main separately. When done, reverse the trick on the programming track (again by ONLY changing adderessing mode from short to long or vice versa), so that the originally desired addresses are once again in (combined) use.

It probably soun ds more confusing written down than it is when you think about it.

I would highly recommend using JMRI for the addressing mode change, as it changes only what needs changing and a lot of the bit calculations can be forgotten about.

Wouter

On 20 December 2017 at 04:10, Gary Chudzinski chudgr@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Allan writes:

>You can avoid running lots of wires between a locomotive and a tender by using two decoders.  I've put a locomotive decoder in the boiler and put a sound decoder in the tender.

And how do you handle change CV's in just one of the decoders?

Gary Chudzinski