Easy Fox Hunting Antenna Build (and spare materials available if someone else wants to build one) #project

Michael Forsman (KEØTCF)

So, when I was out at Bader Park last weekend for the big Steak Fry event, (which by the way, was an absolute blast and I am so glad I was able to attend!) they held a fox hunt event. I participated using my handheld Icom radio, held close to my body to shield it, and had moderate luck. I eventually found the fox after teaming up with Jeremy Smith KC0NUK as we were both nearing the area at the same time and joined up.

Anyway, I had a real blast with the fox hunt and can't wait to do it again! I decided to tide myself over in the meantime by building a super-duper cheap antenna for radio direction finding. I followed the guide here: https://www.jpole-antenna.com/2017/02/07/build-it-2-meter-tape-measure-yagi-beam-antenna/ from the always-helpful KB9VBR who explains how to build the popular tape-measure 3 element yagi. I had an old tape measure kicking around in the garage that didn't retract properly anymore, so it was perfect. I got the PVC pipe and fittings, and some hose clamps and got to work.

The finished product I am very happy with, and I will add some pictures to this post a bit later. It was a very nice easy build and the little testing I have done with it, it seems to work very well! I have also ordered this offset attenuator kit: https://kc9on.com/product/fox-hunt-offset-attenuator/ which should come next week. Once it's built, I hope to 3D print a little mount for it on the boom of the antenna, and then I'll really be ready to go!

Anyway, the other point of this post was to let folks know that if anyone else wants to build one of these antennas and join me on my fox hunting endeavors, I have a ton of extra tape-measure left over! I also have some PVC pipe left too. So if anyone wants to build one, let me know, I can get you some pipe and some of the tape measure, and then all you'll need is the PVC fittings, hose clamps, and some coax!
--
73,

--
Michael Forsman, KEØTCF
Kearney, Nebraska

Michael Forsman (KEØTCF)

Edited

Little update and some pics!

I got the offset attenuator built and installed. I got a PVC conduit body and installed the attenuator, battery, and switch into that, and used it to mount a handle as well.

All ready for a fox hunt. Again, if anyone else wants to build one and join me, let me know, I have some extra materials for you!

--
73,

--
Michael Forsman, KEØTCF
Kearney, Nebraska

Ben S

That looks slick!

Al Ardon (N9UO)

That's pretty cool. I think that would work great for finding that interference I'm experiencing. I'd be real interested in building that attenuator.

Michael Forsman (KEØTCF)

Hey Al, thanks!

I thought about offering it to you when you posted about your interference, but you said it's across the HF spectrum right? I'm not sure how much this would help, unless the interference is so broad-banded that it extends even into 2m.

That said, I'm no expert on the matter, so someone can feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken in that regard. You are certainly welcome to try it if you think it would help!

As for the attenuator, you can pick one up for just $15 assembled from right here! https://kc9on.com/product/fox-hunt-offset-attenuator/ or alternatively they do have them available as a kit for a few bucks less, which I opted for since I love putting kits together.
--
73,

--
Michael Forsman, KEØTCF
Kearney, Nebraska

Al Ardon (N9UO)

Hi Michael!

HF just confirms their is a problem, actually in the vhf/uhf bands, you can use a yagi for pin-pointing problem poles. Dawson power has been very responsive and we'll be checking some of the poles around here. I'll be sniffing around the cable tv junctions/boxes for noise as well. This has been an eyeopening situation.

73's
Al

Michael Forsman (KEØTCF)

Let me know if you have luck tracking yours down.

I haven't had time to be on HF in a long while, but the last couple nights I found time, and found out that I have some pretty nasty broadband noise too. Previously I've been able to track it to stuff in the shack or house, but this time it's looking like it might be something else. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can find anything.
--
73,

--
Michael Forsman, KEØTCF
Kearney, Nebraska

Al Ardon (N9UO)

Sure will. Dawson is coming out on Friday. We’ve found some suspicious hardware that needs attention. They are shutting off the power on the line. Hopefully we will know if causes the noise to cease.

73,
Al