Topics

Facter 4 release

Bogdan Irimie

Hi,

I am very happy to announce the first release of Facter 4. The team has worked tirelessly these last couple of weeks to make the transition for projects that use Facter as a gem (for example Modules CI pipelines) as smooth as possible.

If you experience any issues with Facter 4 or you are not ready to migrate to it, you can revert back to Facter 2 by setting Facter version in your gemfile. If you are using rspec_puppet for tests, you can use FACTER_GEM_VERSION to set the Facter version.

One of the objectives for Facter 4 is to be compatible with Facter 3, so expect frequent releases that will close the gap between Facter 3 and Facter 4.

The entire team is really excited about this release and we are looking forward to your feedback. Feel free to reach out on slack or open a ticket on https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/projects/FACT with facter-ng label.

Best regards,
Bogdan Irimie

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden

<https://rubygems.org/gems/facter/versions/4.0.11>. The team has worked
tirelessly these last couple of weeks to make the transition for projects
that use Facter as a gem (for example Modules CI pipelines) as smooth as
possible.

If you experience any issues with Facter 4 or you are not ready to migrate
to it, you can revert back to Facter 2 by setting Facter version in your
gemfile. If you are using rspec_puppet for tests, you can use
FACTER_GEM_VERSION to set the Facter version.

One of the objectives for Facter 4 is to be compatible with Facter 3, so
expect frequent releases that will close the gap between Facter 3 and
Facter 4.

The entire team is really excited about this release and we are looking
forward to your feedback. Feel free to reach out on slack
<https://puppetcommunity.slack.com/archives/C0W1X7ZAL> or open a ticket on
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/projects/FACT with facter-ng label.
https://github.com/voxpupuli/puppet-selinux/issues/318

It looks like https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-409 showed up again and Facter::Core::Execution.execute now raises an exception when the command fails where previously it didn't.

The fact itself is contained to the Red Hat OS family, but when running tests on a non-Red Hat it is executed.

Is this intended or should it be considered a regression?