Topics

Deprecate voxpupuli/nscd in favor of ghoneycutt/nscd

Garrett Honeycutt

Hello,

Would like to propose deprecating voxpupuli/nscd[1] in favor of
ghoneycutt/nscd[2].

My version has all the functionality present in VP's version and is
feature complete to the documentation on all supported platforms. VP's
supports EL 6 and 7 and mine supports EL 5-7, Amazon Linux, Debian 6,
Solaris 10, Suse 10-12, 15, OpenSuse 13 and Ubuntu 12. They are both
under the Apache v2 license.

What my module is missing is strong data types, puppet-strings
documentation (though every parameter is already documented), hiera data
in module and acceptance tests. It does have comprehensive spec tests
and is widely used in production.

[1] - https://github.com/voxpupuli/puppet-nscd
[2] - https://github.com/ghoneycutt/puppet-module-nscd

Best regards,
-g

--
Garrett Honeycutt
@learnpuppet

James Powis

My largest concern comes from deprecating a community supported module in favor of a single individual supported module. Humans die easily, groups die less easily.

Also Vox really needs some level of guidelines for how a module leaves Vox and / or is deprecated in favor of something else.

Thanks,

James R. Powis

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:05 PM Garrett Honeycutt <gh@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve Traylen

The VP module is probably more modern currently. It's mostly missing support for other OSes and exposing every variable . Adding those things is probably similar to modernising GC module.
Have been planning to add the missing stuff to VP one . Was stuck behind a MR that has been there for ages.

I say we just merge the functionality of the two modules. Nothing is wrong in either module.