Topics

Puppet SDK (pre-)announcement

David Schmitt

And I finally uploaded the current master to rubygems. Initially I expected folks around here to just run it from a clone, obviously I've been wrong.

Next step: automate the rubygems upload :-D

Cheers, David

On 1 June 2017 at 23:59, Bryan Jen <bryan.jen@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

One missing step from David's original email. If you are running pdk via the cloned git repo, you also will need to set an additional environment variable: PDK_USE_SYSTEM_BINARIES=true and ensure you have the appropriate binaries, like git, installed and in your path.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:34 AM, David Schmitt <david.schmitt@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

in the spirit of release early, release often, we've just opened up the repositories for the pdk to the public: https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk

The README there details some of what is planned for the next weeks, the implementation currently only has the "new module" command implemented. "new class" is currently in progress. The other commands will follow as the project progresses.

The second part of this are the templates at https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk-module-template. Again, they are in a very early stage of development, but the long-term goal is to act as a one-stop-shop for all module related templating needs. Specifically, as a first step, replace our own modulesync_configs, and - if at all possible - the voxpupuli's one too. The format of the templates is intentionally based on modulesync, and should be bi-directionally usable for the time being.

Since we're just ramping up all the infrastructure around this project, the only sensible way to run the pdk currently is through bundler with a reference to the cloned Gemfile:

BUNDLE_GEMFILE=~/git/pdk/Gemfile bundle exec pdk help

I'd love to hear all your feedback, either here, or in private!

Cheers, David

--
Bryan Jen
Senior Software Engineer