Modulesync Config 4.0.0

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden

Hello everyone,

You may have seen a wave of activity yesterday. Bastelfreak and I released our msync config 4.0.0.

The major change was from Travis CI to Github Actions. In doing so, the test matrix has become dynamic. This means that metadata.json drives it. If you list Puppet >= 5.5.8 < 7.0.0 it will run the unit tests on Puppet 5 & 6. To add Puppet 7 support, just update metadata.json and it'll run the tests. Similar, Puppet 5 can be dropped in the same way. We found some modules which didn't declare any support or still only Puppet 4. Most of these have been cleaned up.

Similarly, if there are acceptance tests it will run them. That means that if you list CentOS 6 in metadata.json and there are accepance tests, it will run them. We found a few broken modules and they have dropped CentOS 6. There are also a bunch of modules where the acceptance tests all fail because previously they didn't run. There are still a bunch of them open now.

Now there are 52 open modulesync PRs.

https://github.com/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+archived%3Afalse+user%3Avoxpupuli+label%3Amodulesync

For each one I left a message why they failed but I don't have time to fix all issues. This is where you come in.

For a few Github Actions didn't trigger for some reason. I'll see if I can work on that.

Then there are modules where there are problems that need code changes. Either in the modules or in the tests. These have the tests-fail label.

I'd like to ask everyone to look at the modules they care about and fix them. I'll be happy to advise but often I don't even know the software.

If modules are really broken for a longer time and nobody steps up I'd suggest to mothball them. This means removing it from the modulesync config so they're not holding us back. They should also have an open issue which describes the state of the module.

Regards,
Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden