Facter 4 pre-release

Bogdan Irimie

Hi,

We are very happy to inform you that in the last week we have deployed a pre-release version of Facter 4 to rubygems. Facter 4 is still under development and our first goal is to replace Facter 2.x in Puppet gem with Facter 4.

Starting with Puppet 6.13.0 gem users can opt in to use Facter 4.

To try out Facter 4 you can run: gem install facter –pre

We are planning to do a full release of Facter 4 gem on the 11th of March 2020.

Impact:

  • Module tests that have been converted to Limus and run with Puppet as a gem will work once https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/IAC-551 is resolved.

  • Modules converted to litmus that use litmus:install_agent or beaker with agent provisioning will not be affected as we still plan to provide Facter 3 as the default facter in Puppet Agent AIO.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to reach out on slack or open a ticket on https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/projects/FACT with facter-ng label.