[ANN] Resource API v1.6.0 Release

David Schmitt

Hi /[fv]o(l)x/,

We're pleased to announce that version 1.6.0 of the Resource API is being released today.

The Resource API provides a simple way to create new native resources in the form of types and providers for Puppet. Using a little bit of ruby, you can finally get rid of that brittle exec, or manage that one API that eluded you until now.

It is provided as a Ruby gem to be referenced within modules. Support for it has been included as an experimental feature in the Puppet Development Kit (see pdk new provider --help). Use the resource_api module or the puppet 6 packages to deploy it in your infrastructure.

The new release of the Resource API provides the following enhancements:

  • Allow SimpleProvider to handle composite namevars.
  • Implement allowances for device-specific providers.

The new release also contains the following notable changes:

  • Updates to the README
  • Add testing for supported puppet version branches

See the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes.

We encourage all module developers to review the Resource API and use it when creating types and providers. The README gets you going quickly. To see some example code see this simple Philips Hue type or the Palo Alto firewall module.

Please let us know of your experiences with the Resource API, either here, on Slack (#forge-modules), or on the github repo.

Thanks, David Schmitt