Re: Beaker 3 to Beaker 4 migration for puppet modules.

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden <ewoud@...>

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 05:45:03PM +0100, Tp Honey wrote:
as you may be aware there was a release of Beaker 4 gem in the last
week
I appreciate the thread, but was there a place I could have gotten a heads up of such a major bump before the actual release?

here are some proof of concept PR's for puppet modules that show the
necessary code changes and the dependency changes required for this
migration.
puppetlabs-stdlib PR
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-stdlib/pull/937> and puppetlabs-apt
PR <https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-apt/pull/779>
The Beaker team have detailed the technicalities of these beaker changes
here Upgrade_from_3_to_4
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/beaker/blob/4.0.0/docs/how_to/upgrade_from_3_to_4.md>
The links to beaker-* are incorrect, https://github.com/puppetlabs/beaker/pull/1541 should fix them.

Longer term we are going to put these changes into puppet-module-gems
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-module-gems> pinning first to beaker
3 then moving to beaker 4 for supported puppet modules.

Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions.
In my experience it's very hard to find documentation on beaker. For example, it took a long time before I figured out that serverspec[1] is used and well documented.

A high level overview of how it works and how I use it as a developer writing specs would be greatly appreciated.

[1]: https://serverspec.org/