Re: Get rid of Puppet4?

On 03/21/2018 10:39 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 09:58:20AM +0100, Thomas Mueller wrote:
On 03/21/2018 09:50 AM, Tim Meusel wrote:
Hi everybody,

Puppet 5 is available since a long time. Besides many bug fixes it also
has support for hiera 5 configs as data-in-modules. Some time ago in the
IRC channel we agreed on Puppet 4.7.1 as our lowest supported Puppet
version and at least Stdlib 4.13.1. A few of our modules ship
data-in-modules with hiera 5. This got introduced in Puppet 4.8(?) but
had some bugs. The agreement, and recommendation by Puppet, was to
require at least Puppet 4.10.X in those cases.
Voxpupuli should generally support puppet versions supported by Puppet
Inc.

Lifecycle: https://puppet.com/misc/puppet-enterprise-lifecycle
Oldest supported PE release: 2016.04
Component list:
https://puppet.com/docs/pe/2016.4/overview_version_table.html

Oldest supported Puppet version: 4.10.x
Satellite 6.3 just came out and it includes Puppet 4.10.9 so I'd be
happy if we continued to support it. Dropping anything older would be
fine by me. I think that aligns with the PE versions.
I agree. I'm fine with supporting 4.10.X until it's EOL (october?). But
we should not support anything that's EOL. As a module author we act as
a software "vendor" to or users, we're responsible for them. We should
not encourage them to run outdated software. We should also point out
that people are not required to update their local module version, just
because we released a newer version.

I wrote that many times in issues and pull requests. I just realized
that our Puppet 4.7.1 is now EOL as well and we should maybe bump the
puppet version in all modules to at least 4.10.X? No matter if they use
data-in-modules or not.

But I don't think you can create a policy that fits for every
voxpupuli module. For some modules it maybe makes sense to support
older puppet and for others not.
Even if it's not a policy, some guidelines are good to have.