Re: Get rid of Puppet4?

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 09:58:20AM +0100, Thomas Mueller wrote:
On 03/21/2018 09:50 AM, Tim Meusel wrote:
Hi everybody,

Puppet 5 is available since a long time. Besides many bug fixes it also
has support for hiera 5 configs as data-in-modules. Some time ago in the
IRC channel we agreed on Puppet 4.7.1 as our lowest supported Puppet
version and at least Stdlib 4.13.1. A few of our modules ship
data-in-modules with hiera 5. This got introduced in Puppet 4.8(?) but
had some bugs. The agreement, and recommendation by Puppet, was to
require at least Puppet 4.10.X in those cases.
Voxpupuli should generally support puppet versions supported by Puppet Inc.

Lifecycle: https://puppet.com/misc/puppet-enterprise-lifecycle
Oldest supported PE release: 2016.04
Component list: https://puppet.com/docs/pe/2016.4/overview_version_table.html

Oldest supported Puppet version: 4.10.x
Satellite 6.3 just came out and it includes Puppet 4.10.9 so I'd be happy if we continued to support it. Dropping anything older would be fine by me. I think that aligns with the PE versions.

But I don't think you can create a policy that fits for every voxpupuli module. For some modules it maybe makes sense to support older puppet and for others not.
Even if it's not a policy, some guidelines are good to have.