Puppet SDK (pre-)announcement

David Schmitt

Hi folks,

in the spirit of release early, release often, we've just opened up the repositories for the pdk to the public: https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk

The README there details some of what is planned for the next weeks, the implementation currently only has the "new module" command implemented. "new class" is currently in progress. The other commands will follow as the project progresses.

The second part of this are the templates at https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk-module-template. Again, they are in a very early stage of development, but the long-term goal is to act as a one-stop-shop for all module related templating needs. Specifically, as a first step, replace our own modulesync_configs, and - if at all possible - the voxpupuli's one too. The format of the templates is intentionally based on modulesync, and should be bi-directionally usable for the time being.

Since we're just ramping up all the infrastructure around this project, the only sensible way to run the pdk currently is through bundler with a reference to the cloned Gemfile:

BUNDLE_GEMFILE=~/git/pdk/Gemfile bundle exec pdk help

I'd love to hear all your feedback, either here, or in private!

Cheers, David