Topics

HRD Logbook Accepts But Fails To Log Contacts

Chris VK2BYI

Edited

I have been made aware of two QSO Relay users (Ian, MI1CCU/EI3HFB and Panos, SV8JNL) who are experiencing a problem with HRD Logbook not logging contacts.  They are both using Maria DB as the back-end database server.

Here is a snippet from a session tracing log captured by Ian, that shows the problem that both Ian and Panos are experiencing.  Some of the detail has been removed for clarity and replaced with 4-dot ellipses (....)

A contact from JTAlert is received:

2017-05-24 10:45:18.1993 Processing received data
<CALL:5>DF8JK .... <EOR>

The contact is written to QSO Relay SQLite database file:

2017-05-24 10:45:18.1998 Logging contact in SQLite

Insert Into [Log] ( QsoId, .... , '' );

2017-05-24 10:45:18.5675 Contact successfully logged in SQLite

The contact is relayed from QSO Relay to HRD Logbook.  Here is the conversation between QSO Relay and the HRD Logbook command line interface:

2017-05-24 10:45:18.5675 Relaying contact to HRD

[c] ver

Ham Radio Deluxe Version Release 6.4.0.647

[c]

db add "MI1CCU" { CALL="DF8JK" .... }

Found 31 Valid Fields...

Added 31 Fields to MI1CCU...           <--- NOTE HRD Logbook indicates that 31 fields will be added to the 'MI1CCU' database

[c]

quit

[c]

2017-05-24 10:45:21.9301 Contact successfully relayed to HRD

QSO Relay then tries to verify that the contact has in fact been written to the database:
2017-05-24 10:45:21.9301 Verifying contact was logged by HRD

2017-05-24 10:45:21.9306 Checking HRD Logbook for DF8JK, 20170524, 094000, 20m, JT65

2017-05-24 10:45:26.1767 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:27.1825 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:28.1870 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:29.1885 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:30.1918 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:31.1941 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:32.1955 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:33.1969 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:34.1982 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:35.2000 Retrying...

2017-05-24 10:45:37.9388 WARNING: Contact was not verified as logged in HRD

However, after 10 attempts at 1 second intervals, the contact cannot be found in the database.  A direct query of the database confirms the record has not been written.

I have never experienced this issue myself, but a close friend recently has, and he fixed it by completely uninstalling Ham Radio Deluxe using the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller, before re-installing it.  Although, he uses Microsoft SQL Server and not Maria DB.

Ian is going to attempt the reinstall as well.  Panos tried that, and that worked fine for him initially, but he now reports the same problem has returned.

Maria DB server is made by the original developers of MySQL, and is reportedly a binary compatible replacement for MySQL.  I have tested Maria DB on my development system with QSO Relay and HRD Logbook, and it works without any problems at all using MySQL Connection String properties.

I am aware of a long-standing issue in HRD Logbook, where a contact is only partially logged if an ADDRESS field contains carriage return and/or line feed characters.  However, in this case there is no ADDRESS field supplied in the data being sent to HRD Logbook, and it fails to log anything at all.

I am confident the issue lies within HRD Logbook and I have searched the HRDLLC Support Forum for an answer, but to no avail.  I would raise a ticket with HRD if I could reproduce the problem, but I can’t.

If any members reading this post can share their experiences and advice re Maria DB and HRD Logbook, I am sure Ian and Panos would be grateful.

Morris WA4MIT

I am using Maria DB with HRD.647 with no issues I have logged many contacts now with QSOrelay without any difficulties. I have been setup on Maria DB for a good while now without any issues with it either. Get them to setup a dummy blank my access DB along with their in use Marie DB. JTAlert had a similar issue with Maria DB users and the blank dummy access DB was the fix. 73 wa4mit Morris

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:03 AM, Chris VK2BYI <chris@...> wrote:

I have been made aware of two QSO Relay users (Ian, MI1CCU/EI3HFB and Panos, SV8JNL) who are experiencing a problem with HRD Logbook not logging contacts.  They are both using Maria DB as the back-end database server.

Here is a snippet from a session tracing log captured by Ian, that shows the problem that both Ian and Panos are experiencing.  Some the detail has been removed for clarity and replaced with 4-dot ellipses (....)

[...]

I am aware of a long-standing issue in HRD Logbook, where a contact is only partially logged if an ADDRESS field contains carriage returns and/or line feeds characters.  However, in this case there is no ADDRESS field supplied in the data being sent to HRD Logbook, and it fails to log anything at all.

I am confident the issue lies within HRD Logbook and I have searched the HRDLLC Support Forum for an answer, but to no avail.  I would raise a ticket with HRD if I could reproduce the problem, but I can’t.

If any members reading this post can share their experiences and advice re Maria DB and HRD Logbook, I am sure they would be grateful.

Ah yes, I remember that happening with me and SQL Server some time back.  I had to have an empty Access logbook open in HRD Logbook at the same time as the SQL Server logbook that I use for my contacts, otherwise an 'unspecified error' kept popping up.  But I haven't needed to do that for quite some time now, and assume it was fixed.  I went looking through the HRD release notes forum looking for a mention, but I couldn't find it.

Those affected can try Morris' suggestion, can't hurt.  Thanks Morris.

73 Chris VK2BYI

Chris VK2BYI

Panos, SV8JNL, emailed me overnight and tells me he now has it working again without problem for 2 hours, and at the time of writing believes the problem is fixed.

He and a friend of his, were using the default 'mysql' database.  He created a new database without any tables in Maria DB, and then I presume he created a new ODBC Data Source Name for this database, and "opened" it with HRD Logbook so that it created the required 'table_hrd_contacts_v01' table.

Thanks Panos.

73 Chris VK2BYI

Chris VK2BYI

Ian, MI1CCU/EI3HFB, tried the suggestion from Morris, WA4MIT, and created a blank Access database and listed it directly under the Maria DB Logbook in HRD Logbook Manager.  I guess something similar to this:

After rebooting his computer, Ian now reports that it is working 100% - including after many subsequent reboots.

Thanks Ian a
nd Morris.

Giuliano “IZ4WNP” Bocchi

Confirm !

Add a blank Access database and all work 100%

Tnx a lot !!!!

Chris VK2BYI

You are most welcome Giuliano.  I am glad you found your answer here.

Giuliano “IZ4WNP” Bocchi

Tnx !