[tech] Dimension of the planet Vexillium

Winfried Schrödter

[TECH]
Excerpt from a message of 10 March 2001 by our esteemed player Michael J. Rudolf +
The "mile" used below is the "international mile" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile#International).

To all players:

(Because there are a number of new players in ImagiNations, this is a reprise of a message sent a couple of years ago. Those of you who have already seen it — and those who don't care — can ignore it.)

For those of you wishing to calculate the land areas of your nations, I have come up with some geographic constants for the planet Vexillium. This might help those of you trying to determine a realistic population.

New players should be aware that Edward designed his original planet on a grid where 15° of latitude measured 1,000 miles exactly, or 1,609.3440 kilometers. (Note: I am using the American nomenclature of a comma representing breaks of thousands, and a period/full-stop for a decimal point. My apologies to those who prefer the space-and-comma method.)

Therefore, Edward's original scale tells us that the planet Vexillium has a circumference of 24,000 miles, or 38,624.256 km. (This isn't unrealistic. It's close to what Earth's size is, and unlike on Earth, where units of measure were defined by objects or other such means, I recall a discussion long ago that a Vexillium mile is actually defined as being 1/24,000 of the planet's circumference.)

[/TECH]

Michael Rudolf
(Lamb's Cove)

Mike Ham

On 2023-01-08 09:06, Winfried Schrödter wrote:
New players should be aware that Edward designed his
original planet on a grid where 15° of latitude measured
1,000 miles exactly, or 1,609.3440 kilometers.
... AT the equator.

Obviously at successive latitudes this amount shrinks ... to zero, in fact, at 90° latitude ... but you were all already smart enough to figure that out.

On 2023-01-08 05:55, Bernard wrote:
After updating the statistics for my nations for 323 AP,
I was annoyed (like every year) that I don't have the area
numbers of most of my nations (and even Tak's isn't very
accurate) so I decided that I wanted to calculate them at
last. How many km and/or mi is one pixel on the map again?
Sorry, I did start a project of giving numbers to countries, but it became very hard colouring in aaaaall those pixels to a single colour to represent the area of a country which a program then read which I could do some hand-wavy maths on.

If y'all want to do the colouring in yourselves, I could try and source the program again and give estimates. But, I need to see latitude lines so I can give a size to each pixel. Or, I think Paintshop or whatever have pixel-by-colour counting algorithms in-built, now.

*shrug* That's how I did it. I was happy with the results.

Winfried Schrödter

How could I miss the equator? Because Feniz and Estontetso both border the equator, so I personally never met this problem, but yes, it's important. I should even create a wikivex page now.

As for country areas, I don't know how Max does the vex map, but if it's a co-ordinate based geographic information system it'd be easy to calculate. If not, happy counting. - In fact, this was a legally accepted measuring method, my forerunners as cartographers used a glass plate with fine grid squares they put on the map and then counted.

Colouring a country on the vex map fails at the borders when jpg format is used (blurring occurs). In this, Max should be able to assist, e. g. supplying bmp images, or even counting pixel or dimensions from his data. If we kindly ask😊

Winfried

Bernard

One of the reasons I asked this is that the various iterations of the Vex maps have different grid sizes. I remember indeed reading an amount of miles per grid, but I didn't know if that still applied to the most recent maps.

Mike wrote:
> Or, I think Paintshop or whatever
> have pixel-by-colour counting algorithms in-built, now.

Yes! Inkscape has such a function as well, which I was wanting to try out. Since my map of Smalik already has separate colours for each nation, the idea is to select each nation and make Inkscape calculate the area; I can even establish a scale (1px = xx km or mi) and for that I'd need to know the amount of km or mi per pixel.

Winfried wrote:
> I don't know how Max does the vex map, but if it's a co-ordinate
> based geographic information system it'd be easy to calculate.

That would make things even easier. The most recent map however doesn't list all my Smalik nations yet, and Kemedal and Ansonia are still two nations (although that would be a matter of adding them up, I guess).

~ Bernard

On 2023-01-08 05:55, Bernard wrote:
> After updating the statistics for my nations for 323 AP,
> I was annoyed (like every year) that I don't have the area
> numbers of most of my nations (and even Tak's isn't very
> accurate) so I decided that I wanted to calculate them at
> last. How many km and/or mi is one pixel on the map again?

Sorry, I did start a project of giving numbers to countries, but it
became very hard colouring in aaaaall those pixels to a single colour to
represent the area of a country which a program then read which I could
do some hand-wavy maths on.

If y'all want to do the colouring in yourselves, I could try and source
the program again and give estimates. But, I need to see latitude lines
so I can give a size to each pixel. Or, I think Paintshop or whatever
have pixel-by-colour counting algorithms in-built, now.

*shrug* That's how I did it. I was happy with the results.

Winfried Schrödter

Sorry for another addition:

Along the equator AND all the meridians.

Cartograohers assume earth (and vex) a globe, not an ellipsoid or a geoid.

Winfried

Von: Mike Ham <mikeham@...>
Datum: 08.01.23 07:07 (GMT+01:00)
An: vexillium@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [vexillium] [tech] Dimension of the planet Vexillium

On 2023-01-08 05:55, Bernard wrote:
> After updating the statistics for my nations for 323 AP,
> I was annoyed (like every year) that I don't have the area
> numbers of most of my nations (and even Tak's isn't very
> accurate) so I decided that I wanted to calculate them at
> last. How many km and/or mi is one pixel on the map again?

Sorry, I did start a project of giving numbers to countries, but it
became very hard colouring in aaaaall those pixels to a single colour to
represent the area of a country which a program then read which I could
do some hand-wavy maths on.

If y'all want to do the colouring in yourselves, I could try and source
the program again and give estimates. But, I need to see latitude lines
so I can give a size to each pixel. Or, I think Paintshop or whatever
have pixel-by-colour counting algorithms in-built, now.

*shrug* That's how I did it. I was happy with the results.

Winfried Schrödter

The new page is open for discussion:

https://vexillium.fandom.com/wiki/Dimension_of_the_planet_Vexillium

Cheers,
Winfried

Winfried Schrödter

Bernard wrote:

... but I didn't know if that still applied to the most recent maps...

I thought that it still applies. We can decide different, of course.

CU
Winfried

Mike Ham

On 2023-01-08 21:48, Winfried Schrödter wrote:
Colouring a country on the vex map fails at the borders when
jpg format is used (blurring occurs).
Yes, must use png, and one image per country is prob'ly best, to keep relatively small