Topics

what are these white bugs

Greg Gerritt

I do not think I have ever seen anything like these white bugs.  If you can identify, please let me know.    1 minute   35 seconds       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuJYwJXH6k

Greg Gerritt  Providence RI

bcolburn bcolburn

These are true water bugs and I believe they are members of family Veliidae, commonly known as small water striders, riffle bugs, or broad-shouldered water striders (the latter name based on having the first segment behind the head wider than the remaining body segments). (Veliids are sometime confused with another family of small surface bugs, the Hebridae or velvet water bugs, but these look like veliids to me.) Much smaller and with shorter legs than the Gerridae — large, common water striders — veliids often have wingless adults. They walk or skate more slowly than the common water striders, and like them have a sharp proboscis that they use to stab prey at or below the water’s surface. Nice video and fun to watch!

Betsy Colburn

On Jul 25, 2020, at 1:13 PM, Greg Gerritt <gerritt@...> wrote:

I do not think I have ever seen anything like these white bugs.  If you can identify, please let me know.    1 minute   35 seconds       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuJYwJXH6k

Greg Gerritt

Much Thanks.  Vellidae  seems to be the consensus from other people who chimed in as well.  I have about 800 videos on Moshassuckcritters if anyone is interested.  Not all are vernal pool oriented ( like the coyote videos) but at least 200 are.  And I rely on folks like y’all to identify things when they stump me.  greg gerritt  Friends of the Moshassuck

From: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io> on behalf of bcolburn bcolburn <bcolburn@...>
Reply-To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM
To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [vernalpool] what are these white bugs

These are true water bugs and I believe they are members of family Veliidae, commonly known as small water striders, riffle bugs, or broad-shouldered water striders (the latter name based on having the first segment behind the head wider than the remaining body segments). (Veliids are sometime confused with another family of small surface bugs, the Hebridae or velvet water bugs, but these look like veliids to me.) Much smaller and with shorter legs than the Gerridae — large, common water striders — veliids often have wingless adults. They walk or skate more slowly than the common water striders, and like them have a sharp proboscis that they use to stab prey at or below the water’s surface. Nice video and fun to watch!

Betsy Colburn

On Jul 25, 2020, at 1:13 PM, Greg Gerritt <gerritt@...> wrote: