Topics

vernal pool signage

jacob.kubel

Sorry if this is an old subject, but I recently had an inquiry about signage for a Certified Vernal Pool (Massachusetts).  I know I have seen a few pools over the years with a simple, metal "Certified Vernal Pool" sign erected at the boundary . . . and I assumed they were special-ordered by the individual landowners and/or a town department.  Does anyone on here have any firsthand experience with this subject?  The person that contacted me would like to have official-looking signage erected at a pool on her property and is looking for some advice.  I've already offered a couple of ideas: (a) special-ordering from a sign manufacturer, or (b) persuading the town to adopt a signage program for CVPs on town land and "piggy-backing" on their order.

This also got me to thinking that a standard signage program to implement statewide would be interesting . . . of course, the first consideration (and the most likely deal-breaker) would be who pays for it.

Anyway, if anyone on here has ever ordered or acquired signs for vernal pools, I'd be interested to know more about the ease/difficulty of your experience and, of course, the cost.

Thanks,
Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

Amy Green

We'd be interested in such signs. Perhaps if NHESP has them made for sale?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 2:53 PM jacob.kubel <jacob.kubel@...> wrote:
[...]

Erika Klinkhammer

Sounds like a good reason to write a grant proposal.

Erika Klinkhammer

Pare Corporation

401-334-4100  Ext. 4148

www.parecorp.com

[...]

Matt Burne

I love the idea of little signs that indicate the presence of a vernal pool in general, especially if we can come up with a statewide (or regional...national...no...global bwahaha!) design program. Vernal Pool Association has done this in the past and we'll get Jake some information on that.

It's worth noting for those in Mass (and I'd suspect elsewhere, but don't know), that it's not cool to put up signs on land you don't own without the landowner's permission. Just a cautionary note to not get over-exuberant about posting signs at every CVP in town if you happen to end up with a stack of cool vernal pool signs at some point <wink>

Matt

--
Matt Burne
Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc.

jlspierce

I’d be interested in purchasing some vernal pool signs.

Using WPA filing fees to purchase signs might be allowed, particularly if their certification was done as part of a consultant’s review.

Just a random thought that might be worth looking into, anyway...
Jane Pierce

On Jul 7, 2020, at 2:53 PM, jacob.kubel <jacob.kubel@...> wrote:

[...]

That would be a great use of fees!

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 5:58 PM jlspierce via groups.io <jlspierce=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Janet DeLonga

Input welcome here, but WPA filing fees are to be used for administering the WPA, which does not cover certifying vernal pools, rather, that only certified vernal pools are offered (some) jurisdictional protection.  Aside from that, I LIKE the idea of signage on certified pools; if the pool # issued by NHESP was on the sign, it offers linkage to the info. provided that got the pool certified, but more importantly, I think, 1. marks the area when there is no water 2.  Should eliminate the question of whether the pool has already been certified.  Another note, pools on private property...I have always gotten permission from the homeowner first.  If they've granted permission for the search/certification, they might not be offended by a modest sign.
Janet DeLonga

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 6:26:08 PM EDT, Amy Green <agreen01720@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the responses -- I think this idea could possibly have legs (or, at least, not die a quick death).  Leo, Matt, and I have since started our hamster wheels a-turnin' and will see what options might ultimately be viable.  Thanks again, and feel free to pitch in with any additional thoughts not expressed already.

Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

Frederica Gillespie

On Jul 8, 2020, at 4:20 PM, jacob.kubel <jacob.kubel@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the responses -- I think this idea could possibly have legs (or, at least, not die a quick death).  Leo, Matt, and I have since started our hamster wheels a-turnin' and will see what options might ultimately be viable.  Thanks again, and feel free to pitch in with any additional thoughts not expressed already.

Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

Mary Thomas

A sign that indicates the necessity of filing notices of intent would
be helpful to Conservation Commissions that aren't always made aware
of development plans that are off the beaten path. Well-meaning
property owners often don't recognize VPs or realize their
significance.

Mary

On 7/20/20, Frederica Gillespie via groups.io
<fg481=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

On Jul 8, 2020, at 4:20 PM, jacob.kubel <jacob.kubel@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the responses -- I think this idea could possibly have
legs (or, at least, not die a quick death). Leo, Matt, and I have since
started our hamster wheels a-turnin' and will see what options might
ultimately be viable. Thanks again, and feel free to pitch in with any
additional thoughts not expressed already.

Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Matt Burne

I think that may be better handled with a local outreach program - flyers to land owners that abut a CVP, for instance. Signs would only be posted in a couple of locations, I'd expect, and wouldn't reach all abutters.

It's a good point though, absolutely.

Matt