Topics

Is it safe to move a turtle nest?

Mary Thomas

Thanks for all the advice, folks! It's all been very helpful,
particularly the part about orienting the white spot on the topside of
turtle eggs. The nest was smack dab in the part of their drive that's
constantly used by contractors' trucks, etc, so my friend moved the
nest yesterday, carefully heeding all instructions.

We're more familiar with chicken eggs, which hens and incubators turn
frequently -- exactly the opposite of turtles. Is the stationary
orientation requirement true of all reptile eggs? What about
amphibians?

On 6/21/20, Carolyn Decker <carolyndecker92@...> wrote:
It could be ok to relocate to a nearby spot with identical conditions. The
sooner the better, though! I am not a painted turtle expert but I know in
other turtles that, after a day or two, the developing embryo attaches to
the inner membrane of the egg.

This means that the orientation of the egg in the nest is very important.
Turning the egg can suffocate the developing embryo. Matching the soil
conditions, size, shape, and depth of the nest is very important too.

If at all possible, protecting the nest in place would better ensure that
the eggs successfully develop.

-Carolyn
Ecology grad student at URI

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 10:21 Mary Thomas <wzzw19@...> wrote:

Hi everyone.

This isn't really vernal-pool related, but this list is where the herp
experts are so I'm seeking advice. A painted turtle has laid her eggs
in someone's sandy driveway and I've been asked if it's safe to dig a
new nest at the same depth in a safer location and put the eggs in
there.

Mary in Wendell

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein