Topics

Injured Turtle

Frederica Gillespie

Someone sent me this picture thinking turtle looks hurt on side of road.
Is there anyplace to call or suggestions what to do?
Southborough MA
Freddie Gillespie

Karen Johnson

New England Wildlife Center, South Weymouth
They have helped countless critters
https://www.newildlife.org

https://www.newildlife.org/contact/
Wildlife Hospital
We are open for wildlife admissions 10 am – 2 pm, Tuesday-Friday.

Please call 781.682.4878 before you come to ensure NEWC is accepting
patients! You can also read more about our admissions restrictions by
visiting newildlife.org/why-we-cant-treat-every-animal.

karen

On 7/20/20, Frederica Gillespie via groups.io
<fg481=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Someone sent me this picture thinking turtle looks hurt on side of road.
Is there anyplace to call or suggestions what to do?
Southborough MA
Freddie Gillespie

Mary Thomas

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

jacob.kubel

Hi Freddie,

In addition to the info posted to the VP listserv by others, MassWildlife has a website (https://www.mass.gov/wildlife-rehabilitation) with information about wildlife rehabilitation resources.  If you have not already determined with certainty that the turtle is injured and in need of assistance, that would be a good first step.  Given that this is a large snapping turtle, you'll want someone knowledgeable/trained in handling them.  Perhaps the town's animal control officer would be a good person to contact to have the turtle picked up and taken to a rehabilitator -- assuming the turtle is incapacitated and still on the roadside.

Best,
Jake

Jacob E. Kubel
Conservation Scientist
Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program
Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife
1 Rabbit Hill Road, Westborough, MA 01581
e: jacob.kubel@...

2020 marks the 30th anniversary of the MA Endangered Species Act. Learn more about rare species conservation at mass.gov\30MESA

Someone sent me this picture thinking turtle looks hurt on side of road.
Is there anyplace to call or suggestions what to do?
Southborough MA
Freddie Gillespie

Frederica Gillespie

Thank you.
Just got report the turtle is gone so maybe made her way or someone else helped.
I asked what the injury was and told back leg wouldn’t come out when trying to move.
The info on the Tufts page was very helpful re how to safely move a snapper, even though not needed now.
Freddie

On Jul 20, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Mary Thomas <wzzw19@...> wrote:

https://wildlife.tufts.edu/

[...]

It is hard to get help for wildlife.
In the past I have called every rehabilitator on the mass wildlife
list (for a bird) within a 90 minute drive. One returned my call a day
and a half later.
Most rehabilitators are small operations and very limited in occupancy.

New England Wildlife made space for the bird. The only one.
They too, have limits though.
They have helped spotted salamanders. Here is one example:
https://www.newildlife.org/2016/03/spotted-salamander-release/

?

e: jacob.kubel@...<mailto:jacob.kubel@...>
mass.gov/masswildlife<http://www.mass.gov/masswildlife> |
facebook.com/masswildlife<http://www.facebook.com/masswildlife>

mass.gov\30MESA<http://www.mass.gov/30MESA>

Someone sent me this picture thinking turtle looks hurt on side of road.
Is there anyplace to call or suggestions what to do?
Southborough MA
Freddie Gillespie

Danielle Fauci

Tufts has a page where it asks you a few questions that can help determine if they should be seen or not. https://wildlife.tufts.edu/found-wildlife/