Topics

gray tree frogs using nest cavities?

Kris Corwin

Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris
Groton, MA

C Mark Blatchley

I've got one living somewhere in the big Maple in the backyard.  The tree is home to a variety of the birds that come  to our feeders

On 7/12/20 4:42 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io wrote:
Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris
Groton, MA

C Mark Blatchley

can i borrow you picture?

On 7/12/20 4:42 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io wrote:
Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris
Groton, MA

Kris Corwin

Yes you may.

Kris

On Jul 12, 2020, at 5:02 PM, C Mark Blatchley <chmarbla@...> wrote:

can i borrow you picture?

On 7/12/20 4:42 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io wrote:
Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris
Groton, MA

Steve Faccio

I’ve found quite often in apple tree cavities and I remember reading a paper years ago about using vertical pvc pipes to monitor grey tree frogs (and maybe other tree frog species.

On Jul 12, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io <corwinkris@...> wrote:

Yes you may.

Kris

On Jul 12, 2020, at 5:02 PM, C Mark Blatchley <chmarbla@...> wrote:

can i borrow you picture?

On 7/12/20 4:42 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io wrote:
Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris
Groton, MA

Zack Weber

Here is an amusing photo from my parents' midwestern back yard from a few years ago.  I didn't realize that this was a trend.  They look right at home though.  Thanks for sharing your photo, Kris.

Zack

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 5:47 PM Steve Faccio <sfaccio@...> wrote:
I’ve found quite often in apple tree cavities and I remember reading a paper years ago about using vertical pvc pipes to monitor grey tree frogs (and maybe other tree frog species.

On Jul 12, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io <corwinkris@...> wrote:

Yes you may.

Kris

On Jul 12, 2020, at 5:02 PM, C Mark Blatchley <chmarbla@...> wrote:

can i borrow you picture?

On 7/12/20 4:42 PM, Kris Corwin via groups.io wrote:
Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris
Groton, MA

Patricia Lebau

These photos are delightful! Kids' book time; someone write it: There's a Frog in my House.

Pat Lebau

http://www.patlebauyoga.com/

Yoga Classes: VIA ZOOM FOR NOW
Mondays 10:30 AM via Sohum, sign up at https://www.sohum.org/
Wednesdays NIOON  = donation class = email me for Zoom link
Thursdays 10:30 AM via Sohum sign up at https://www.sohum.org/
Fridays Noon Zoom via Synergy Wellness Center sign up at https://synergy-wellness-center.com/
Private Yoga / IPT lessons to alleviate pain via Zoom = email to arrange

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 7:20 PM Zack Weber <zackweber@...> wrote:
[...]

jacob.kubel

Other cavities in which I've found them recently include:
  • one of the slots in a corner post of a split-rail fence (same corner in multiple consecutive years); and
  • armor box of a Wildlife Acoustics SM4 audio recorder (2 separate units, in different towns)

FYI, they were really loud on the recordings when calling from inside the armor box, causing an underlying metallic vibration. Who knew these guys were metalheads?

Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

Greg Gerritt

One summer I found one living inside the metal pole holding up a stop sign.  I have video of it calling from the top of the sign and then launching into the air to go to the breeding pool.  Greg Gerritt Providence RI

From: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io> on behalf of "jacob.kubel" <jacob.kubel@...>
Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM
To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [vernalpool] gray tree frogs using nest cavities?

Other cavities in which I've found them recently include:

  • one of the slots in a corner post of a split-rail fence (same corner in multiple consecutive years); and
  • armor box of a Wildlife Acoustics SM4 audio recorder (2 separate units, in different towns)

FYI, they were really loud on the recordings when calling from inside the armor box, causing an underlying metallic vibration. Who knew these guys were metalheads?

Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

Mary Thomas

I've always assumed that Gray Tree Frogs mate and lay eggs in water-
on the ground - perhaps vp's, perhaps not. Do they use water in tree
cavities instead or as well?

Mary

From: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io> on behalf of "jacob.kubel"
<jacob.kubel@...>
Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM
To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Jessica De Simone

I would love to see this video!

*From: *Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io> on behalf of
"jacob.kubel" <jacob.kubel@...>
*Date: *Monday, July 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM
*To: *Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>

Other cavities in which I've found them recently include:

- one of the slots in a corner post of a split-rail fence (same corner
in multiple consecutive years); and
- armor box of a Wildlife Acoustics SM4 audio recorder (2 separate
units, in different towns)

FYI, they were *really *loud on the recordings when calling from inside
the armor box, causing an underlying metallic vibration. Who knew these
guys were metalheads?

Jake Kubel
MassWildlife - NHESP

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Matt Burne

Gray tree frogs are pond breeders - they don't breed in water-filled holes or hollows of trees. Usually in May or so they are in full breeding chorus (around MA), and lay a loose, filmy mass of up to a few dozen eggs. The larvae hatch within a few days and larvae develop quickly.

I have encountered GTF in bird houses and tree holes, but these notes of fence and sign posts are funny. One of the strangest things I'm aware of is their penchant for getting up under asphalt roof shingles for mid-summer. I worked at a building with an asphalt roof that took actually many years to reroof (I can't even....), and the guys would always keep me posted when they came across a tree frog nestled up under the shingles as they worked. I can only imagine how bloomin' hot it was in those hiding spots. And there was an entire forest for them to go to, yet they selected the roof often!

Matt

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

--
Matt Burne
Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc.
Vice-President, Vernal Pool Association

Cin & Bill Kobak

For several years we had a gray treefrog spend the summer inside a downspout just below our porch gutter. Its trilling resonated beautifully. Another year house painters discovered one in leaves in a short gutter under a roof eave. Many years ago, when our gas grill was on the wooded side of our deck, we’d always find one under the material cover on the shelf section of the grill. Gotta say, my favorite frog species.

Cindi Kobak

Guilford, CT

Not exactly vernal pools but amphibian related.  I have found gray tree frogs sitting in the entrance holes to bird houses a number of times.  I was wondering if there have been any studies looking into gray tree frogs use nest cavities?

Kris

Groton, MA

Cin & Bill Kobak

A neighbor with an aboveground pool didn’t uncover the pool one year and gray treefrogs bred in the rainwater collected in the cover. It was the only year we found gray treefroglets in our yard.

Cindi Kobak

Guilford, CT

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

--
Matt Burne
Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc.
Vice-President, Vernal Pool Association

Mary Thomas

Thanks, Matt. It's a wonder they didn't fry or get mummified tucked
into an asphalt roof in full sun. There must be something researchable
in this about their heat tolerance. A google search suggests 90
degrees (F) max for pet GTFs.

The pictures really are funny. I second the suggestion of a children's
picture book.

From: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io> on behalf of
"jacob.kubel"
<jacob.kubel@...>
Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM
To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>

[...]

I have about 850 videos on my youtube site and today I could not locate the tree frog and the stop sign. But I offer up these of tree frogs. Greg gerritt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQ4rQYpeHg&t=2s This one is Gray tree frog tadpoles eating

Tree Frog calling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUiwTkel09s

The only very young tree frog video I have along with Fowler's Toadlets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMY8Nw9HnRU

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Jessica De Simone

Thank you so much, Greg!!  I'll check out your YouTube.  Thank you!

    --
    "No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
    created it." Albert Einstein

C Mark Blatchley

They do breed in pool covers.  When i was working as a science teacher in a residential treatment center my TA one day showed up with a bucket full of tadpoles from his neighbor's pool cover.  As they matured, and before we released them they made a great background sound for the classroom.  That is how i learned about their mucus.  Another story, another time

--

😂