Topics

gray tree frogs using birdhouses

Kris Corwin

I had previously posted about gray tree frogs using birdhouses.  I have a bird house that has an active house wren nest.  Twice in the last 2 days, I've seen the gray tree frog coming out of the birdhouse.  Today, I could see the wren pushing/pecking him as he exited.  I'm wondering why the tree frog is going in.  Would they try to eat eggs?  Bugs attracted to the nestlings?

Kris

Matt Burne

I like the latter idea. Maybe also just a shelter. Could it be that the frog is crawling in there and hanging out unobtrusively in a corner, and mom/dad wren harass froggie when it's coming/going when they're around?

Matt

--
Matt Burne
Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc.

Mary Thomas

Will everyone hate me if I think the frog ... Oh, never mind.
Mary

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had previously posted about gray tree frogs using birdhouses. I have a
bird house that has an active house wren nest. Twice in the last 2 days,
I've seen the gray tree frog coming out of the birdhouse. Today, I could
see the wren pushing/pecking him as he exited. I'm wondering why the
tree
frog is going in. Would they try to eat eggs? Bugs attracted to the
nestlings?

Kris

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Matt Burne

Haha. I don't think the frog's big enough to depredate a wren after it's more than a couple of days old. To be fair, I have no idea how big a wren is when it hatches or after a couple of days, but I'm just trying to help preserve the good name of my favorite frog in the world. Where's a birder when you need one?

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

--
Matt Burne
Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc.
Vice-President, Vernal Pool Association

Mary Thomas

GTFs are my favorite, too, but hey, a frog's gotta eat. According to
allaboutbirds.com, house wrens are about the same size as chickadees
and their eggs are about 0.6-0.8 inches long. I imagine the hatchlings
are among the smaller ones among song birds.

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had previously posted about gray tree frogs using birdhouses. I
have
bird house that has an active house wren nest. Twice in the last 2
days,
I've seen the gray tree frog coming out of the birdhouse. Today, I
could
see the wren pushing/pecking him as he exited. I'm wondering why the
tree
frog is going in. Would they try to eat eggs? Bugs attracted to the
nestlings?

Kris

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Matt Burne

Hunh. Who knew?! (I know the answer to that!)