Topics

Frog ID?

Kris Corwin

I had an unusual looking frog at my pond today. Can anyone ID?

Mike McCarthy

female green frog

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 05:43:12 PM EDT, Kris Corwin via groups.io <corwinkris=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had an unusual looking frog at my pond today.  Can anyone ID?

Leo Kenney

You have a melanistic green frog.  She is missing the yellow pigment to produce green. Very nice.

Leo

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM Mike McCarthy via groups.io <mmccarthy15=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
female green frog

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 05:43:12 PM EDT, Kris Corwin via groups.io <corwinkris=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had an unusual looking frog at my pond today.  Can anyone ID?

Mary Thomas

Can someone please explain how this frog's gender was determined from
these photos? And will her melanistic trait be passed on to her
offspring? Thanks!

Mary

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Olivia

In green frogs I believe the tympanum (big ear disc) is smaller than the eye on females and noticeably larger than the eye in males. Males also usually have yellow throats.

I imagine the color will be obscured by more dominant normal genetics, but since it’s clearly present in the population somewhere, there’s always a chance it’ll continue—or simply pop up again! Very cool find.

verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

female green frog

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 05:43:12 PM EDT, Kris Corwin via groups.io
<corwinkris=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had an unusual looking frog at my pond today. Can anyone ID?

--
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that
created it." Albert Einstein

Kris Corwin

Thank you for the ID.  Is this also a melanistic Green?
Kris

On Jul 25, 2020, at 9:38 PM, Leo Kenney <kenney@...> wrote:

You have a melanistic green frog.  She is missing the yellow pigment to produce green. Very nice.

Leo
_._,_._,_