Topics

Early Dry Ponds

Noah Charney

The two big productive vernal pools I know of in our forest both dried out in the last couple weeks before the wood frogs and spotted salamanders could get out (most of the salamander eggs never even got to hatch).  Lack of rain combined with early leaf-out (transpiration).  Are others seeing the same thing? 

-noah 

Matt Burne

Yes sir. Very dry everywhere I've been in MA this month.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020, 10:52 AM Noah Charney <ndcharney@...> wrote:
The two big productive vernal pools I know of in our forest both dried out in the last couple weeks before the wood frogs and spotted salamanders could get out (most of the salamander eggs never even got to hatch).  Lack of rain combined with early leaf-out (transpiration).  Are others seeing the same thing? 

-noah 

--
Matt Burne
Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc.
Vice-President, Vernal Pool Association

C Mark Blatchley

I need to check the Wendell SF sites

On 6/21/20 11:17 AM, Matt Burne wrote:

-noah 

--
Matt Burne

Greg Gerritt

Pool in Orovidence’s North Burial Ground is completely dry and has been for a couple of weeks,  no Fowlers toad tadpoles were seen this year.  Greg gerritt

From: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io> on behalf of Matt Burne <mattburne@...>
Reply-To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 11:17 AM
To: Vernal Pools List <vernalpool@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [vernalpool] Early Dry Ponds

-noah 

--
Matt Burne