Peanut Butter Cake Ball Buckeyes
Prep 45 min
Total2 hr 0 min
Peanut butter cake balls dipped in chocolate to look just like buckeyes.
1 box, (15.25 oz.) Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Cake Mix Butter Recipe Yellow
3tablespoons softened butter,
3/4cup creamy peanut butter, plus 1/4 cup
1/4cup sour cream
3 large eggs
1/2- 3/4 cup Betty Crocker™ Whipped White Frosting or Vanilla Frosting
22oz. melted and tempered pure dark chocolate (or melted dark cocoa confectionery coating/candy melts/almond bark)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick tin foil or spray with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
2. Combine the cake mix, softened butter, and 3/4 cup peanut butter in a mixing bowl. Beat on low speed using an electric mixer until combined. Add milk, sour cream and eggs and beat on low speed just to combine, then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 29-34 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for
10 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
4. Cut off the edges of the cake and discard. Break up the cake into crumbs. Mix with the remaining 1/4 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup of the frosting.
5. Blend until well combined, adding more frosting as needed until you can pinch off pieces of the dough to roll into balls. Scoop tablespoon-sized scoops of the dough and roll into balls.
*6. Insert a toothpick into a cake ball and dip into the melted chocolate so a small circle remains on the top of the candy. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and remove the toothpick.
7. After dipping about 25 cake balls, set the baking sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets, about 5 minutes. Then repeat.
8. Allow the cake balls to come to room temperature. Pinch together the hole created by the toothpick in each buckeye, then flatten. Enjoy.
(From Cooking Friends (Marilyn))