Topics

Tom Canup

Beth

Barb posted this on Facebook:

In the early hours of Wednesday, August 7th, Tom passed peacefully from this world, ending his ten-year battle with prostate cancer.

Tom was a fighter. Until close to the end, Tom was still traveling and appreciating family, friends, food, and our cat Sienna. He also continued to work with amateur radio emergency communications. In late June we flew to Scotland because he had never seen the Scottish mainland.

Thanks Tom for traveling all over the world and through the last 29 years with me.

Barbara

Ken

Oh no no nono no no. That’s just not right. People I love really need to just stop dying, G-dammit!   >:-(
Barbara, I just realized that I’ve never seen you upset about anything. Excited, yes, happy, cracking up, and occasionally even indignant against some injustice, but never off-center, and your message that Beth quotes sounds like you’re managing well now. But after a decade of struggle... well, I suppose...
My heart goes out to you. Your two strong wills always seemed like you lived in a dynamic equilibrium (dynamic tension — must be hard work!) but always stabilized with a wise and solid and accepting love. I love you both, and I hope that you are at peace as well.
      KenG.

On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 4:32 AM, Beth <beth.r.schwartz@...> wrote:

Barb posted this on Facebook:

In the early hours of Wednesday, August 7th, Tom passed peacefully from this world, ending his ten-year battle with prostate cancer.

Tom was a fighter. Until close to the end, Tom was still traveling and appreciating family, friends, food, and our cat Sienna. He also continued to work with amateur radio emergency communications. In late June we flew to Scotland because he had never seen the Scottish mainland.

Thanks Tom for traveling all over the world and through the last 29 years with me.

Barbara

Lisa Maxwell

Tom was one of those special people - kind and gentle, a good listener and a great friend.

My heart goes out to you Barb but it is good that you have so many wonderful memories to carry forward.

Hugs,

Lisa

In the early hours of Wednesday, August 7th, Tom passed peacefully from this world, ending his ten-year battle with prostate cancer.

Tom was a fighter. Until close to the end, Tom was still traveling and appreciating family, friends, food, and our cat Sienna. He also continued to work with amateur radio emergency communications. In late June we flew to Scotland because he had never seen the Scottish mainland.

Thanks Tom for traveling all over the world and through the last 29 years with me.

Barbara

Otto

We are very very very sorry to hear of this terrible news!

Love and hugs always,

Otto and Karen

============================
Otto Kunz
Tax Credit Advisors LLC
508-842-3232
http://www.taxcreditadvisors.com
"Try to be a little nicer." - Aldous H.
============================
On 8/8/2019 4:32 AM, Beth wrote:

Barb posted this on Facebook:

In the early hours of Wednesday, August 7th, Tom passed peacefully from this world, ending his ten-year battle with prostate cancer.

Tom was a fighter. Until close to the end, Tom was still traveling and appreciating family, friends, food, and our cat Sienna. He also continued to work with amateur radio emergency communications. In late June we flew to Scotland because he had never seen the Scottish mainland.

Thanks Tom for traveling all over the world and through the last 29 years with me.

Barbara

Barbara

Thanks Ken for your kind and perceptive thoughts. I’ve had time to prepare, but nothing can really prepare you. My sister is with me now and Mensa and other friends here are very supportive.

Barbara

[...]

Paul Mailman

Gone way too soon. I will miss his gentle ways, his good spirit, and his great big bear hugs.

It was comforting to see Tom and Barbara's travelogues of late. Obviously he was not going to let his diagnosis stop him from experiencing as much as he could in whatever time he had left.

Rest easy, old friend.

On Aug 8, 2019, at 4:32 AM, "Beth via Groups.Io" <gmail.com@groups.io target=_blank>beth.r.schwartz=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Barb posted this on Facebook:

In the early hours of Wednesday, August 7th, Tom passed peacefully from this world, ending his ten-year battle with prostate cancer.

Tom was a fighter. Until close to the end, Tom was still traveling and appreciating family, friends, food, and our cat Sienna. He also continued to work with amateur radio emergency communications. In late June we flew to Scotland because he had never seen the Scottish mainland.

Thanks Tom for traveling all over the world and through the last 29 years with me.

Barbara

Jon

Oh, Barbara, I'm so sorry for your loss.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:06 AM Paul Mailman <pmailman@...> wrote:
[...]

nancy gardella

Friends, feeling so sad by Tom's passing, and so happy to have known this gentle soul.  Peace to you Barbara, and all your family. xo

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 1:40 PM Jon <ZoomWhoosh@...> wrote:
[...]

Sharon

Alastair and I are thinking of you during this trying time. Tom will be greatly missed.  I especially remember how kind you both were to share your favorite San Francisco restaurant with us during my 60th birthday trip. Many hugs.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 15:12, nancy gardella
<ngardella119@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all of you who are sending your good thoughts. It’s greatly appreciated.

Barbara

[...]

Donna

Dear, dear Barbara,

I echo everyone's thoughts and sadness about the news of Tom's death, and I join Nancy, Lisa, and Paul in using the word "gentle" to describe him.  I think of Tom as both a gentle man (but perhaps for those hands) and a gentleman.

I always knew that chatting with Tom would result in my learning something interesting; his genealogical research and the ways he detoured around stumbling blocks in it come to mind.  When I'd sit with the two of you, eagerly soaking up your reports on train travel, Antarctica (and silk underwear!), shopping for duck (to cook, not to raise), or any other subject, part of the joy of the experience was witnessing the dynamic (I'm sharing that word with Ken) and the rhythm between you.  You'd recite, for example, four sentences introducing the subject; the second you'd stop speaking, Tom would pick up the story, giving it three sentences beginning exactly where you'd left off.  When he'd think about pausing for a bit of breath, you'd come back in with the follow-up to what he'd offered, and so on, and neither of you ever lost a syllable, missed a beat, or failed to advance the narrative.  Yes, many couples do this, but you and Tom were the only one I've known who reminded me of a Mamet play, but without the cursing or the interrupting.  Brilliant dialogue, escalating rhythm, "characters" becoming mutually animated by each other's contributions...  Yes, a bit Mametish...but a *genteel* Mamet.  (And there's [a variation of] that word.)  I wish...sigh...that I'd told you *both* what a gift it always was to be regaled by your collaborative reporting.

That you and Tom shared 29 years is wonderful.  That you and Tom shared only 29 years...

You're in my thoughts.

Hugs--

--Donna

[...]

Donna, thank you for your perceptive and kind observations. You have a good memory for stories and dialogue. I think those shared stories, told so many times, will be one of the things that I will miss the most. And his hands. I got used to Mensa women in New England backing up to him, and I was fine with it because I got to take him home. He was a gentleman, and realized that if he kept it respectful he’d get to put his hands on more women.

Love,

[...]

And it wasn't just the women who appreciated those hands. Tom was the only person I know who could challenge Marty Capodice in that department.

If they ever hold a shoulder rub competition on the other side of those Pearly Gates, I want to be a judge.