Topics

Karen update

Otto

Dear everyone,

I have combined the family and friends distribution lists. Friends, meet our family. Family, meet our friends.

Thank you to each of you for your love, concern, phone calls, emails and other support! Karen is resting comfortably and sends her love.

We got bad news at the orthopedic appointment today. Karen has suffered a Maisonneuve fracture, which is apparently among the most severe of ankle injuries and fairly rare. She also cleanly broke her fibula (and not her tibia, as earlier reported based on a "wet-read" by the ER doctor). As it was explained to me by the surgeon, this type of injury requires surgery in which the tibia and fibula are joined together with a pair of metal screws, and three months later the tendons should heal. The screws will eventually break but it is important that they don't do so until at least twelve weeks after surgery. This means she can't put any significant weight on the ankle until then.

Thank you again to all of you!

Love and hugs always,

Otto and Karen

============================
Otto Kunz
Tax Credit Advisors LLC
508-842-3232
http://www.taxcreditadvisors.com
"Try to be a little nicer." - AH
============================

Ken

Well, That ain’t good.
Karen, you’d best not resume kicking Otto’s butt until spring. Meanwhile, we Are your ever-loving friends & family, so rest assured that the slack will be picked up.

        KenG.

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 12:25 AM, Otto <ottokunz@...> wrote:

[...]

Donna

Hello, F&F--

Am I the only one who read this and seethed (for Karen's sake) that it took those idiotic HCPs MORE THAN A WEEK to discover this very complicated injury that poor Karen has suffered?!?

Well, silly me and mea culpa.  Having just read a bunch of articles about Maisonneuve fracture, which I'd never heard of before, I've learned that one of the more difficult aspects of it is diagnosing it!  It seems that it frequently doesn't show up in standard x-rays and that the doc/near-doc has to be actively looking for it in order to find it.  This frequently requires that the patient stand--bearing weight!--on the damaged leg so additional x-rays (called "stress films") can be taken, sometimes at unusual angles, of the ankle.  Poor Karen!  After she'd just spent a week being teacher's pet, strictly following instructions NOT to bear weight!

(Does anyone else find this stuff interesting?  I do wish, though, that I hadn't learned of it through Karen's misfortune.  I wish I'd accidentally stumbled on it while--oops!  No!  That could have caused a Maisonneuve fracture!)

Many sufferers of this injury are athletes, especially gymnasts and skiers.  The good news is that most are able to go back to their sports about--you guessed it--12 weeks after surgery (and with continued PT)!  Realistically, Karen might not be schussing double black diamonds this season; it is expected, though, that almost immediately after surgery she *will* be able to play the saxophone.

Otto--when is her surgery?  Where?  (Karen--Are you seeing your email now?  The web site says the rehab center has wifi!)

I hope everyone else here is well and that you, Karen, will be, too, much sooner than 12 weeks from now.

--Donna

[...]

Paul Mailman

May I be the first to say (much to my surprise at beating out Donna) Oy Gevalt! I'd like to just gather you both into the biggest hug ever and not let go.

Otto, thank you for sending out news, as hair rending as it is. Let us know when surgery gets scheduled.

Does Karen's rehab room have a window overlooking a lawn where we could plant some pink flamingos to cheer her up?