Topics

Karen post-surgery update

Otto

Hi Everyone,

Karen's surgery went fine, with no complications. She is in a different place now, the Beaumont Rehab Facility, on Plantation Street in Worcester, room 402A. She feels fine, if a bit groggy. She was finally allowed to eat something around 5pm.

The current treatment plan is 10-14 days more of rehab depending on how it goes. She has a follow-up with the surgeon on 11/8. Hopefully she'll be home by then!

Karen says Hi and sends her love.

All the best,

Otto

============================
Otto Kunz
Tax Credit Advisors LLC
508-842-3232
http://www.taxcreditadvisors.com
"Try to be a little nicer." - AH
============================
On 10/19/2018 9:31 PM, Otto wrote:

Dear Cathy and everyone,

The surgery will be at the UMass University Lakeside campus next Wednesday, but she isn't scheduled to be there for more than a few hours afterwards. She'll most likely be sedated, but it is not a particularly invasive surgery. Infection is always a concern, but the surgeon is confident that it should go well. She'll probably be moved out of the hospital that day.

The current plan is to move her to a rehab facility somewhere in the Reliant Health Care system, but we don't know which one. (She could wind up in one of Dad's old rooms at Christopher House, but we'll have to wait and see.)

Also, in addition to merging the family and friends lists, I spoke with Tommy and Peter in the past hour. Karen and I had planned to spare them this news when we thought it was a simple sprain and tibial fracture. However, that was in the halcyon days long past, around 4:00 this past Wednesday, when we thought she would recover by Thanksgiving. We agreed that now they need to know, and so they are now on the list for all of the updates. So watch what you say in front of these impressionable young minds of 23 and 19 years respectively! (Where *does* the time go? And why can't we visit in person??)

Anyway, Dad's fancy-schmantzy walker (it has a built-in seat and storage compartment!) is waiting for her at her place at our dining room table. Here's hoping she gets to come home soon!

Love and hugs, and thanks again for everything,

Otto and Karen

PS: Cathy, safe travels!
============================
Otto Kunz
Tax Credit Advisors LLC
508-842-3232
http://www.taxcreditadvisors.com
"Try to be a little nicer." - AH
============================
On 10/19/2018 8:13 PM, Cathy wrote:
Thanks for the info.  Once you know where she'll be having the surgery, please let us know.  Also, if you guys need anything, let us know.

I'll be out of town for a few days, then again late next week into the weekend, but will be reachable by cell.

Take care and hang in there,
Cathy & Steve

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone
On Oct 19, 2018 7:50 PM, Otto Kunz <ottokunz@...> wrote:
Dear Donna and everyone,

Thank you to all of you for your phone calls, cards, wit, humor and encouragement for Karen. We appreciate your love and support very much!

I just got back from Canada, went to see Karen for awhile and am now back home and am catching up. I was able to receive email on the road but not to send it, so I'm sorry for the delay.

Karen's surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, October 24th. We don't know what time yet. Also, we don't know which facility she will be sent to post-op, but it won't be the one she is in currently, which is more of a nursing home.

Regarding the diagnosis and in defense of the medical team, this type of injury is indeed very difficult to diagnose by X-ray (particularly on a "wet read" ) and they also had to wait for the swelling to subside. They *did* accomplish this without weight-bearing postures. Also, the doctor didn't want to tell us about it until he was sure because the diagnosis is a severe one.

Karen has daily physical therapy sessions and they are working on upper-body strength and on "butt-bumping" exercises to help her get up and down stairs so she can come home. Once she's here, I will do my best to make it so she doesn't have to leave the main floor at 42M unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully she'll be able to travel by December but we'll have to see. The surgical screws are designed to break under load, and they will break eventually. It is *very* important that they don't break before the crucial tendons heal. That's not expected to happen until late January.

Karen's cell number is 774-696-3311. (Mine is the same but ends in 3310. *Her* cell phone number goes up to "11" you see. 8-)  )

L&H always,

Otto and Karen
============================
Otto Kunz
Tax Credit Advisors LLC
508-842-3232
http://www.taxcreditadvisors.com
"Try to be a little nicer." - AH
On 10/17/2018 6:27 AM, Donna via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello, F&F--

Am I the only one who read this and seethed (for Karen's sake) that it took those idiotic HCPs MORE THAN A WEEK to discover this very complicated injury that poor Karen has suffered?!?

Well, silly me and mea culpa.  Having just read a bunch of articles about Maisonneuve fracture, which I'd never heard of before, I've learned that one of the more difficult aspects of it is diagnosing it!  It seems that it frequently doesn't show up in standard x-rays and that the doc/near-doc has to be actively looking for it in order to find it.  This frequently requires that the patient stand--bearing weight!--on the damaged leg so additional x-rays (called "stress films") can be taken, sometimes at unusual angles, of the ankle.  Poor Karen!  After she'd just spent a week being teacher's pet, strictly following instructions NOT to bear weight!

(Does anyone else find this stuff interesting?  I do wish, though, that I hadn't learned of it through Karen's misfortune.  I wish I'd accidentally stumbled on it while--oops!  No!  That could have caused a Maisonneuve fracture!)

Many sufferers of this injury are athletes, especially gymnasts and skiers.  The good news is that most are able to go back to their sports about--you guessed it--12 weeks after surgery (and with continued PT)!  Realistically, Karen might not be schussing double black diamonds this season; it is expected, though, that almost immediately after surgery she *will* be able to play the saxophone.

Otto--when is her surgery?  Where?  (Karen--Are you seeing your email now?  The web site says the rehab center has wifi!)

I hope everyone else here is well and that you, Karen, will be, too, much sooner than 12 weeks from now.

--Donna