Topics

For Mensa Friends: Christopher Kunz and David Rawson, and Karen update

Otto

Dear Everyone,

I am very sad to report two more deaths, close in the wake of Ahmet's passing last week. It feels very weird to report these two in particular since one of them is my brother, but I couldn't see how to prepare separate messages given their very close proximity in time.

CHRISTOPHER EUGENE KUNZ
I learned with great shock, horror and profound sadness this afternoon that my next-youngest brother, Christopher Eugene Kunz, died while recuperating at home from shoulder surgery. Some of you might remember him from years ago when he was a regular attendee at our monthly gatherings. He apparently passed away on Saturday, but he was alone at the time so we are not sure exactly what happened or when. He may have suffered an aneurysm or other malady from clotting, as this most recent surgery was to repair complications with his previous surgery a month or so ago, but we don't know. He was a Navy vet who was injured during his service, and had been a self-employed handyman for many years. He had just turned 50 this past July.

He was the proud father of three fine sons; Edgar, Luke and Noah. Chris and I had been planning a weekend get-together last week, so he could spend the night here and then go to visit our mother about 100 miles north of here in New Hampshire. That plan changed when a slot opened up to perform the surgical repair, so we planned to make it happen next weekend or the one after, once he'd recovered sufficiently to drive. The surgery seemed to go well enough that he was sent home alone. He was found when a neighbor asked for a wellness check when he didn't respond as he previously always had.

My sister, Cathy, is flying home from California as I write this, and the eventual plan for services, etc. has yet to be developed. More news when it happens. I have spoken with Mom, my brothers Jim and Bill, and Chris' eldest son Edgar, as well as Tommy and Peter, and of course Suzanne, but we have more family to contact tomorrow. Please understand if it takes a few days for more information to come along.

DAVID RAWSON
Meanwhile, within a few minutes of receiving the news about Chris this afternoon, I also learned that David Rawson died of a heart attack on Saturday at age 66. He was the husband of 21 years of our dear friend Su Rawson-Wolfe, whom you might remember as a frequent RG Committee member (as Su Wolfe or Su Gordon) back when Karen and I used to work on those committees. She was also very heavily involved in the Worcester group and hosted the monthly movie night in our area for a long time. She is also the woman with whom I had my first (and so far only) paid gig as a performer, when we sang duets for the Worcester First Night Committee gala sometime in the 1980s. (Although, calling it "paid" is a bit of a stretch. I think we got free admission and access to the end of the buffet, plus tips. I don't remember the year, but it was quite some time ago.)

David was a great guy and I remember helping him and Su move into their current place in Worcester, where they have been for over 20 years. Karen and I attended a few of their holiday gatherings, but David's health had waned in recent years, and that made hosting events more difficult. Su does not plan any public services. However, she would welcome an email:  S.J. Wolfe <perseshen@...>

KAREN UPDATE
In other news, Karen suffered two more major seizures in her sleep last night. This was before we knew about any of this. She is feeling alright but very sad now. Also, these continued "break-through" seizures are *very* troubling!

WAY WAY WAY too much loss and Angst!

Love and hugs,

Otto and Karen

PS -- Su, would you please send us David's obituary (or a link to it) when it is convenient?  I'm working on a first draft for Chris now, but I'm sure it will take a few days to finalize. This is all so sudden, and I was *quite* sure Chris would outlive me, on pure gumption alone!

--
============================
Otto Kunz

Ken

Good heavens, Otto!
I somewhat clearly remember Chris being at das Spielenzimmer on Beaconsfield and (without comment) comparing & contrasting the two of you wrt appearance, expressions, voice, inflection, turns of phrase, apparent areas of interest, etc., and found him very enjoyable company.
That’s not to say...  Ah, well, enough said there. Wonderful guy. My deepest condolences to all of your family, three generations of you. What an awful shock.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 12:24 AM, Otto <ottokunz@...> wrote:

[...]

Sarah

Otto, I am so very sorry to hear this. Wishing you peace and comfort.

Please give my love to Karen, as well. I thought they had the seizures under control, so this is disconcerting.

Many hugs to you both.

Sarah

On Oct 30, 2018, at 12:24 AM, Otto <ottokunz@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Mailman

I'm speechless, Otto. And you know that's pretty rare for me.

I am so so sorry to hear of your loss. There just aren't the words.

Hugs and love to you, and my sympathies to your family.

[...]

Tom

Otto-

I am shocked and saddened at the sudden deaths of three folks all at once, and I know how hard this hits you.

There is an old science fiction concept that time is just a device to keep everything from happening all at once, and,  obviously, time is breaking down right now. Three deaths in one family and extended family is too damn much to assimilate all at once.

It was so good to see you last Friday.

Hang in there.

Tom

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

EmilyG

Dear Otto,

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses and Karen's recurring difficulties. My love to you both, along with wishes for you to soon have better news to report.

Hugs,

Em

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

More bad news from Otto. I thought you'd want to see the Karen update.

[...]

Sorry this went to the group. I thought I was sending it to Merrill who asked to be kept informed about Karen's progress.

[...]

Rich

So very sorry, Otto. :-(

Hugs from all of us.

Before all this, I know you had wanted to be kept apprised about arrangements for Ahmet. Here's the info for next Monday in Winthrop.

http://www.chesmorefuneralhome.com/obituaries/ahmet-m-buharali/19196/?fbclid=IwAR2s3ZKXFykaUlFsu_Yjoo-akajcoxJPmWbcYeFUq71D2OdBZpzBMoD243g

With so much to deal with, you will surely be forgiven if you have to skip that one.

-rich

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:24 AM Otto <ottokunz@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info, and yes I'll have to skip that one.

Best always,

Otto
On 10/30/2018 2:33 PM, Rich wrote:

[...]

nancy gardella

Oh Otto, I'm so very sorry you and your family are going through this awful time.  I so wish there were magic words to make some of this, any of this, better, or could ease your burden.  I hope that knowing you're surrounded by friends who care very deeply about you, Karen, Tom & Peter gives you some comfort.  We're all in your corner. xo