Introduction

Joseph Norton

Good evening:

My name is Joseph Norton, from Dalton, GA, U.S.A.

I am a blind computer user, and the first microcomputer I owned was a TI 99-4A.

The first mainframe I owned was a  … just kidding 😊.

Anyway, as you might imagine, I was attracted to the TI 99/4A, because of its speech synthesizer.

As I found out, this was a very useful peripheral, provided one purchased the Terminal Emulator II, and limited himself to programming in TI Basic.

Later, I bought an Echo GP speech synthesizer, manufactured by Street Electronics.  I also obtained the expansion box, 32K memory, and the standard disk drive.

This enabled me to expand my horizons a little, as I could program in Extended Basic, and have all my output sent to the Echo.

Next, I bought Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and spent hours playing that, as I could use the “SCRIPT” command to send out to the RS232 for the Echo to speak.  The bad part is, I didn’t even know it could do that.  I was elated, and so was my mom, since she could stop reading the screen for me.

Also, I did some experimenting with the sound, figuring out, quite by accident that I could even change the frequency of the “noise” from Basic.  Maybe it is documented in the manual, but, the only one who could read to me was my mother, who, of course, had no idea what she was reading.  She spent a lot of time reading things on the screen also, when I got some kind of error.  I am eternally thankful for her patience.

At the present, I do not possess any TI related hardware.  Sadly, a lot of stuff I used to own was destroyed in a house fire in 2007.

However, I am getting back into the TI a bit, because of emulation.

One product I find extremely useful is the CADD PC99 Suite from CADD Electronics, as it has so many manuals and disks and such.  I think all the manuals are accessible, since my screen readers can handle PDF files.  I have to say the “Cyc”, as it’s called, has to be no less than a labor of love.  I cannot imagine the time that went into preparing its contents.  It boggles my mind to think of the scanning and proofing and such that went into it.  I only wish I could have had something like this 35 years ago.  My mind was better (younger, anyway), back then.

Ok. So that’s about all I can think of to write at this time.

I hope all of you are doing ok and staying safe.

Cheers!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gregory McGill

Welcome Joseph!
You will find the mailing list to be a little.. unused these days.  But maybe we can generate some more conversation!

Greg
PS: lots of people talking on the atari age forum and facebook ti99ers group  as well as the TI-99/4A discord

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 6:53 PM Joseph Norton <joseph.norton@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Wilson

Joseph,

I have lot’s of TI hardware that I would be willing to ship to you.

Let me know what hardware you want.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Wilson
415-871-7959
gtimin@...

On Jul 21, 2021, at 7:59 PM, Joseph Norton <joseph.norton@...> wrote:

[...]

No problem:

I don’t mind a low-traffic list.

I’ll just set a filter and let Gmail collect things.

I’m already on Atariage, just don’t heck it all the time.

Anyway, my interests are primarily in what can be done with sound and speech.

Thanks for the reply.

[...]

Mike Laman

Hi Joseph,

I have several boxes of TI-994A equipment boxed in my garage. They were working well waaayyy back when I boxed them. PE box, tons of cartridges,

I've been wanting to find a home for it all. Say the word and it's yours. I'll ship it too you. Someone appreciating it will be payment enough.

Mike Laman
San Diego TI User Group ( I don't even remember the acronym anymore :-( )

Joseph Norton

Hi:

I sure appreciate the offer.  You don’t know how tempting it is!  My space here, however, is so limited, I don’t know where I’d put the things.  I remember how big they were, compared to my notebook PC.

I’ll think about it some more, but, I doubt if I’ll come up with a solution.

Wish I could take ‘em off your hands, since I love stuff like that.

Thanks again for the kind offer.  If my circumstances were different, I’d snap it up.

Take care!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have several boxes of TI-994A equipment boxed in my garage. They were working well waaayyy back when I boxed them. PE box, tons of cartridges,

I've been wanting to find a home for it all. Say the word and it's yours. I'll ship it too you. Someone appreciating it will be payment enough.

Mike Laman
San Diego TI User Group ( I don't even remember the acronym anymore :-( )

SHIFT838

Mike,

I would give it all a home!

Chris

I have several boxes of TI-994A equipment boxed in my garage. They were working well waaayyy back when I boxed them. PE box, tons of cartridges,

I've been wanting to find a home for it all. Say the word and it's yours. I'll ship it too you. Someone appreciating it will be payment enough.

Mike Laman
San Diego TI User Group ( I don't even remember the acronym anymore :-( )

Mike Laman

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the offer. UPS has delivered it to a new home for me, but thanks again. I did want it to get to someone who will appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Mike