Topics

Bama Blastoff, who’s going?

David Simmons

Finally a really big launch event within driving distance of Jacksonville so, I hesitantly asked the wife if I could go for a day, and got the OK to go from the flight director... so not wanting to look a gift horse in the month I registered. So I’ll be loading whatever’s ready to fly into the Van and driving over after work Friday.

My normal club has a 10k waiver down in Bunell Florida, and I get to launch with some cool cats like Jason Cook of insane rocketry, but this launch I expect to draw some big launches, so even if all I have ready is my fleet of pro series II rockets, I should be in for quite the spectacle...

Glad I heard about this launch on the podcast!

Dave Simmons

CG

Hey!

I'll be there along with at least one other member of our crew (Gheem & Daniel won't be there as they have other commitments going on, and are extremely bummed about it).

Look forward to seeing you there!

-CG

David Simmons

That’s great to hear that you’ll be out there CG, I’m all booked up and ready to go, been stocking up on motors as I’ve seen good deals on them...  I’ll be out there all day Saturday.  Hope I’ll run into you, would be cool to put a face with the voice on the podcast.

Bummer the other guys won’t be there but definitely understood... it’s only by virtue of some sort of rare alignment of the planets and circumstances that I was able to go and for the flight director give me OK to go.

On Sep 5, 2018, at 8:14 PM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Hey!

I'll be there along with at least one other member of our crew (Gheem & Daniel won't be there as they have other commitments going on, and are extremely bummed about it).

Look forward to seeing you there!

-CG

David Simmons

CG you mentioned you might be out there, was planning on packing up my AV gear from my film festival shoots I can help film some remotes if you guys want. I’ll have em rollin that Saturday at least

On Sep 5, 2018, at 8:24 PM, David Simmons <dave@...> wrote:

That’s great to hear that you’ll be out there CG, I’m all booked up and ready to go, been stocking up on motors as I’ve seen good deals on them...  I’ll be out there all day Saturday.  Hope I’ll run into you, would be cool to put a face with the voice on the podcast.

Bummer the other guys won’t be there but definitely understood... it’s only by virtue of some sort of rare alignment of the planets and circumstances that I was able to go and for the flight director give me OK to go.

On Sep 5, 2018, at 8:14 PM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Hey!

I'll be there along with at least one other member of our crew (Gheem & Daniel won't be there as they have other commitments going on, and are extremely bummed about it).

Look forward to seeing you there!

-CG

CG

Sounds good, Dave!

-CG

David Simmons

Wow survived the trip to Aliceville, what should have been less than 8 hours took almost 10, got stuck in some traffic on I75.  But I made it and all the rockets too... looking forward to tomorrow

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:03 AM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Sounds good, Dave!

-CG

CG

Yup!

I'll be there with Tee Shirts to sell to support the show!   I did not pack our banners (by accident) so just look for rocketry show tee-shirt wearing folks running around.   I will be there with Kelly from our crew!

-CG

--
Kindest regards,

Cornelius "CG" Gould
Twitter: @therocketryshow

Jesse Ulibarri

Send me some shirts to sell at MidWest Power next weekend! Haha

Have fun guys!!! Wish I could have been there for this one!

Jesse Ulibarri

On Oct 27, 2018, at 1:02 AM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Yup!

I'll be there with Tee Shirts to sell to support the show!   I did not pack our banners (by accident) so just look for rocketry show tee-shirt wearing folks running around.   I will be there with Kelly from our crew!

-CG

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 1:28 AM David Simmons <dave@...> wrote:
Wow survived the trip to Aliceville, what should have been less than 8 hours took almost 10, got stuck in some traffic on I75.  But I made it and all the rockets too... looking forward to tomorrow

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:03 AM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Sounds good, Dave!

-CG

--
Kindest regards,

Cornelius "CG" Gould
Twitter: @therocketryshow

David Simmons

Hang on to am XL if you have one, Gladly wear that to
The launches back in FL

On Oct 27, 2018, at 2:02 AM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Yup!

I'll be there with Tee Shirts to sell to support the show!   I did not pack our banners (by accident) so just look for rocketry show tee-shirt wearing folks running around.   I will be there with Kelly from our crew!

-CG

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 1:28 AM David Simmons <dave@...> wrote:
Wow survived the trip to Aliceville, what should have been less than 8 hours took almost 10, got stuck in some traffic on I75.  But I made it and all the rockets too... looking forward to tomorrow

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:03 AM, CG <cg@...> wrote:

Sounds good, Dave!

-CG

--
Kindest regards,

Cornelius "CG" Gould
Twitter: @therocketryshow

David Simmons

They’re really good shirts by the way CG ended up parking next to me at the launch, I’ll have to remember to get a picture with you next time

On Oct 27, 2018, at 6:21 AM, David Simmons <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Les Rayburn

Great to meet CG and Kelly yesterday at Bama Blastoff! He even interviewed me after my successful L2 flight, making an unforgettable experience even better.

Really great field, wonderful land owners, and a terrific event but on by all. Great to see the low power pads filled all day with youngsters, experiencing the same thrill that we all did as children in this hobby.

Several college teams showed up with amazing projects—and many earned their L1 and L2 certifications. Big rockets, spectacular CATO’s, and near picture-perfect blue October skies.

Events like this are what make rocketry great!

Really appreciate CG and Kelly making the long drive down South.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Level 2-NAR #81057
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
(205) 253-4867
Birmingham Rocket Boys NAR Section 665
Huntsville Area Rocketry Association NAR Section 403
Phoenix Missile Works

“Actually, I’m a rocket engineer. I just build ‘em. You do the math.”

David Simmons

Congrats Les, definitely an enjoyable event and worth the drive from Florida. Had folks from all over the southeast, and Scott Taylor from New Orleans drove in.

On Oct 28, 2018, at 3:26 PM, Les Rayburn <les@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok, preregistration is open who’s going?  Already got approval from the flight director think I’m going to go for L1 out there.

It’s still a few months out, but any fans or anyone from the show planning on going?

Was cool running into CG last year.

On Oct 29, 2018, at 4:12 AM, David Simmons <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Got my L2 at Bama Blastoff last year, and was interviewed by CG just moments after it came down about 50 feet from the pad. :-) That only added to the fun of the occasion.

It was great to meet CG and his lady friend at the event. Hope the Rocketry Show Crew can make it down this year as well.

Been to a few events over the years including an LDRS and a few large NAR events—honestly, Bama Blastoff was more fun than any of them. The field is great, landowners are super-nice and friendly, and the views are spectacular.

Can’t wait to go again this year. Plan to fly a lot of low-power and mid-power stuff. Just want to have fun and fly rockets. Zero pressure.

See you all there!

On Aug 3, 2019, at 3:16 AM, David Simmons <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

You’re right the host family was wonderful and was such a good crowd and can’t beat that field

On Aug 3, 2019, at 1:18 PM, Les Rayburn <les@...> wrote:

[...]

Frank DeAngelo

Hi Les,

Where exactly is the Bama Blast Off held? I spend a lot of time in Huntville in 1986 and again in 1988. It was soooo nice sharing the road with people that drive like humans as opposes to the Boston drivers here at home. Congratulations on your L2 certification. I got mine last year in Berwick, ME flying a Mad Cow Torrent on a small J motor.

Keep on flying,

Frank DeAngelo
NAR 82715
CMASS Section 464

[...]

Frank,

Bama Blastoff is held on a ranch in Aliceville, AL, near the Mississippi border. It’s about 30,000 acres of cotton fields, and just beautiful. Hope you can make it.

That Madcow Torrent is a great rocket. Congrats on your L2 as well.

On Aug 3, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Frank DeAngelo <frankdeangelo@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow, I don’t think NASA has that much of an area. That’s a long way from Boston. Maybe some time in the future.

Frank D