finding villages in "Luxembourg"

Guy Gallez

There is a book on-line, published in 1838 giving all the names of the villages of Luxembourg: the Belgian province as well as the Great-Duchy.

One year after that publication the Luxemburg was divided between Belgium and an Independant Great-Duchy. So you'll have to go to a more recent information to know if the town/village is now a place in the Great Duchy or Belgium.

But, you have to go back to such a book to find the places your ancestors came, because since 1977 all that changed in Belgium with a law called "fusion de communes". Villages were no longer villages but were grouped in bigger entities and a lot of hamlets changed their dependances. 
exemple:
In 1838 and so before 1977, if you search "Lambermont" you'll find :
- LAMBERMONT, "dépendance de la commune de" MUNO (depending of the village of) so a hamlet depending of MUNO.

Next step, look for "Muno" 

- MUNO, "commune" du canton.....   (to say a village, with indications where you can find it and near other entities), Ses dépendances sont (Its hamlets are) :  Lambermont, Parensart, La Platinerie, Le Prieuré, Scierie de Muno, Thibroche, Watrinsart.

Knowing that, you have to search for "Muno" in Wikipedia (or other place) to know if it's now in the Belgian Luxembourg province or in the Great-Duchy.

Next step, to find the birth, marriage and death registers as well as decennial tables of you ancestor, you have to go to Familysearch (I suppose you know how to do that) and get a look at the MUNO archives. 
Gook luck to decipher the French handwriting or the Luxemburger one ! (or ask help from the Group).

The book is at:
https://books.google.be/books?id=YKwBAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

The list of villages is at the second part of the book.

Regine Brindle

Thank you Guy!
May i use this for Belgian Laces?
Thank you!
Regine

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:54, Guy Gallez
<guy.gallez@...> wrote:
There is a book on-line, published in 1838 giving all the names of the villages of Luxembourg: the Belgian province as well as the Great-Duchy.

One year after that publication the Luxemburg was divided between Belgium and an Independant Great-Duchy. So you'll have to go to a more recent information to know if the town/village is now a place in the Great Duchy or Belgium.

But, you have to go back to such a book to find the places your ancestors came, because since 1977 all that changed in Belgium with a law called "fusion de communes". Villages were no longer villages but were grouped in bigger entities and a lot of hamlets changed their dependances. 
exemple:
- LAMBERMONT, "dépendance de la commune de" MUNO (depending of the village of) so a hamlet depending of MUNO.

- MUNO, "commune" du canton.....   (to say a village, with indications where you can find it and near other entities), Ses dépendances sont (Its hamlets are) :  Lambermont, Parensart, La Platinerie, Le Prieuré, Scierie de Muno, Thibroche, Watrinsart.

Knowing that, you have to search for "Muno" in Wikipedia (or other place) to know if it's now in the Belgian Luxembourg province or in the Great-Duchy.

Next step, to find the birth, marriage and death registers as well as decennial tables of you ancestor, you have to go to Familysearch (I suppose you know how to do that) and get a look at the MUNO archives. 
Gook luck to decipher the French handwriting or the Luxemburger one ! (or ask help from the Group).

The book is at:
https://books.google.be/books?id=YKwBAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Guy Gallez

Yes Regine, but it wants to be expanded and illustrated ! The separation between the Belgian Luxemburg and the Duchy explained, the reform of 1977 etc... I can get a look at it. I remember having only been able to find the place of a family with a map of the border as it was sketched in 1839 with the names of all the places along that border.

Guy

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Le jeu. 29 oct. 2020 à 13:14, Regine Brindle via groups.io <babette602001=yahoo.com@groups.io> a écrit :
Thank you Guy!
Thank you!
Regine

exemple:

The book is at:

Regine Brindle

Thank You, Guy!

On Thursday, October 29, 2020, 10:58:18 AM EDT, Guy Gallez <guy.gallez@...> wrote:

Yes Regine, but it wants to be expanded and illustrated ! The separation between the Belgian Luxemburg and the Duchy explained, the reform of 1977 etc... I can get a look at it. I remember having only been able to find the place of a family with a map of the border as it was sketched in 1839 with the names of all the places along that border.

Guy

Le jeu. 29 oct. 2020 à 13:14, Regine Brindle via groups.io <babette602001=yahoo.com@groups.io> a écrit :
Thank you Guy!
Thank you!
Regine

exemple:

The book is at: